Author Topic: Airfix Japanese Zero - modelling potential.  (Read 12356 times)

Pen-Pusher

Airfix Japanese Zero - modelling potential.
« on: January 11, 2017, 10:36:12 AM »
the Zero, also called Mitsubishi A6M or Navy Type 0, fighter aircraft was a single-seat, low-wing monoplane used with great effect by the Japanese during World War II. Designed by Horikoshi Jiro, it was the first carrier-based fighter capable of besting its land-based opponents. It was designed to specifications written in 1937 and first tested in 1939 then put in production for operations in China in 1940. Although Allied forces code-named the aircraft 'Zeke' it was generally known as the 'Zero', a term derived from one of its Japanese names—Reisen Kanjikisen (Type Zero Carrier-based Fighter Airplane), abbreviated Reisen. The year its production began, 1940, was the 2,600th anniversary of the ascension to the throne of Japan’s legendary first emperor, Jimmu, hence the “zero” designation.

The Zero was made by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and was first powered by a Nakajima Sakae radial air-cooled engine of 14 cylinders (two staggered rows of seven) that developed 1,020 horsepower. Later it used a 1,130-horsepower engine to turn its three-blade constant-speed propeller. Its top speed was 350 miles per hour (565 km/h) at nearly 20,000 feet (6,100 m), and it was armed with two 7.7-millimetre machine guns and two 20-millimetre cannons in its wings; it could carry two 132-pound (59.9-kilogram) bombs under the wings.

When it first appeared, the Zero could outmaneuver every airplane it encountered. Moreover, its 156-gallon (591-litre) internal fuel tank was augmented with a 94-gallon external tank enabled the Zero to fly far beyond its expected range. The Allies did not have comparable fighters that could defeat it in aerial combat until 1943. Many Zeros were converted to kamikaze craft in the closing months of the war. In all, nearly 10,430 of them were built.

The new-tool airfix kit of the Zero has much to commend it. Moulded in light grey plastic with 46 parts on three sprues and 1 clear injection moulded canopy. Decals are for one aircraft only and the A4 sized, fold-out instruction sheet gives a brief history history and a 17 part illustrated plan. The paint/decal instructions are on the rear of the box in-line with other Series One kits from Airfix.

The kit is cleanly moulded with a high level of detail in all areas, good decals and clear part. One surprise is the optional folded wing-tips and there is the usual pilot figure. Panel lines are arguably a little on the heavy side and a 'decal only' instrument panel. I suspect the wheel wells are too shallow and may need some attention by the purists. The one piece canopy is crystal clear but oh, it would've been good to have the open-option. Still, it's a very nice model and cheaper than any other Zero kit around and therefore good value for money. Well done Airfix!

I have two projects ahead for this kit. One will be a captured a/c used by the Chinese Nationalists...but more of this later!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:39:11 AM by Pen-Pusher »

Pen-Pusher

Re: Airfix Japanese Zero - modelling potential.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 05:25:29 PM »
As I said, the mould quality of the Zero is up to the high standard of all new Airfix issues. There is still a need for care when removing parts from sprue but the overall detailing is very welcome indeed.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 05:28:19 PM »
After building the cockpit, I tried a dry-fit.... no problem at all! Before some detail is added I used Tamiya X-71 Japanese Interior Green to wash the cockpit (and inside of cowling).

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 05:30:33 PM »
This cutting/scribing tool was recommended by one of the club members and I'm delighted to report.... it works a treat.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 08:52:54 AM »
Decided to 'chop' one wing for this effort and to my horror found the upper and lower wings are really thick (You can judge for yourself by comparing the two halves in these photos) necessitating a fair bit of filing etc., to achieve anything resembling the real thing before adding some ribbing, wing strut and bracing...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 10:29:06 AM by Pen-Pusher »

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 09:20:04 AM »
Deciding to do a wrecked aircraft presents a couple of options. Borrow a hammer from the 'present' Mrs D's tool box and apply liberally to the completed model (extreme measure) - or try replicating something from photographs of an actual plane? After some deliberation I nervously chose the later option.

Doing a wrecked airframe of course presents as many, if not more problems than its pristine counterpart; but so far I'm quite chuffed with the results. I have some 'delicate' work to do in scratch-building ailerons and rudder and a number of 'loose panels' have yet to be sourced before starting on the base-work and painting.....?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 12:27:31 PM »
Without the convenience of a photo-etched alternative, I have had to remove the fabric-covered area of the rudder and then begin building up a strut assembly using the original mould as a guide for size and position. Patience Ian, patience....

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 12:28:55 PM »

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 12:43:08 PM »
Flippin' 'eck!!
Haddock.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 01:58:45 PM »
Something akin to my words!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 10:20:31 PM »
A little more progress. Trying to make this look a bit worse the wear for the weather....

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 10:21:41 PM »
... and fitted.

Roger

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 08:07:35 AM »
The rudder looks very effective, very nice.
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Roger

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 08:50:52 AM »
The rudder looks very effective, very nice.
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Roger
Me too
Grumpy by name and nature

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 04:05:26 PM »
Whatever 'state of repair' is destined for the 1/72 Zero you're tempted to build, the engine of the Airfix kit whilst very good, does need a little attention to detail (See photos) before weathering.