Author Topic: Bluebird  (Read 1416 times)

Pen-Pusher

Bluebird
« on: January 04, 2017, 12:23:41 PM »
Remembering one of my heroes, Donald Campbell who died 50 years ago today, I thought I'd include this article on one of the few models available of Campbell's Bluebirds.

British company Speedbird did a model Bluebird K7, the last of the line so to speak. The model came well packed in a box with an illustration of the kit measuring at an actual size of 13 x 5.5" along with a photograph of Donald Campbell. The model was a set of vac-formed sheets from which the separate parts need to be cut out. Two sheets of instructions were also included, one on the history of Bluebird K7 showing the different versions from 1955 up to 1967, complete with line drawings.

A second set of instructions show how to install an electric motor and radio control, both are very comprehensive and easy to follow but this means before starting with the build, a decision must be made on which model version to use and the year in which it was built, as the parts can then be adapted to suit.

With the parts cut out it's time to start assembly and decided on the glue to use. As recommended in the instructions I was advised to use liquid PlastWeld but a word of warning on overuse on ABS plastic as it can melt or deform the material beyond repair. Also recommended was Revell Liquid Contacta Professional for the stronger joints as this has a very fine nozzle for accurate application onto joints etc., but takes longer to set and may require clamping parts together.

At this point I decided this kit was going to be too much for my skill-set so this description comes from the actual builder who kindly contributed this for everyone's interest.

'The two halves of the main hull were the first to work on and with the edges of the parts sanded level they were glued together and left to set, as were also the parts for the sponsons (outriggers) and the rear fin. The sponsons were made from two parts of vac-formed ABS plastic. With the main hull and the sponsons parts joined they need to be fitted temporarily to the spars, (wood dowels that pass through the hull and into each of the sponsons). These must not yet be glued as the spar covers need to be fitted. The spar fairings need to be fitted and again these are made up from two parts of vac-formed plastic and glued together. These parts are probably the most important to get right as they have to be trimmed to fit as near as perfect to match the contours of the hull and the sponsons. When happy with the fit they were slid over the dowels and all were glued together. Any slightly open joints were filled with plastic filler. When working on the front of the hull I turned the hull upside down and fitted the planing wedge on the underside of the nose. I decided to make this wedge from balsa, (not provided in the kit, but a wooden wedge is) and faired in with Isopon.
The rear fin is also in two parts that are glued together and sanded to the shape of the hull and then glued in position. To finish this section of the building the main access panel on the hull was cut out and held temporarily in place with masking tape, also the cockpit cover was temporarily fitted.
Now is the time to mention that I wanted to add some extra detailing not included in the kit. Most items are included in the kit but of different materials to those that I used. The cockpit cover is vac-formed in white plastic and I decided to make a clear canopy. Having cut out the original I made a mould of the canopy with Isopon and when cured I vac-formed the canopy in clear ABS. This looked much more authentic. Also I made the jet engine cowls to simulate the prototype; these were from litho-plate and fitted together with the brass rudder and stabilizer fin - the templates for these items are provided in the instructions.

After assembly the kit was primed with Halford's primer and painted using Halford's Sea Blue (gloss) from a spray can. Decals come with the kit. Conclusion; a great kit to work on if you like the challenge of vac-forms and are prepared to add a little extra yourself. I don't think this kit is commercially available but is often listed on eBay and other selling sites.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 12:26:20 PM by Pen-Pusher »