Author Topic: Airfix's P-40 in 1/72  (Read 3665 times)

Pen-Pusher

Airfix's P-40 in 1/72
« on: January 01, 2017, 03:23:09 PM »
Some background:

The XP-40 won the US Army’s 1939 fighter competition against the Lockheed XP-38 Lightning, Bell XP-39 Airacobra, Republic AP-4, Curtiss’ own XP-37 and Hawk 75R. Although the XP-38 outperformed the XP-40 at high altitudes and was more heavily armed, the XP-40 had the advantage of being based on an existing fighter design that was already on the production line. That meant that Curtiss could put the P-40 into production with a minimum of delay and at the highly competitive price. On April 26, 1939, Curtiss was awarded a contract for 524 P-40s, the largest order for fighter planes placed by the US Army since 1918.

The P-40 prototype was armed with one .50- and one .30-caliber machine gun, the standard USAAC fighter armament during the 1930s. The production model however was armed with two .50-caliber machine guns and in keeping with Franklin D. Roosevelt’s policy of making the latest American military hardware available to the Allies, 140 of the original batch of P-40s were diverted to France. These were armed with one .50-caliber machine gun in the fuselage and four 7.5mm guns in the wings. None of those P-40s were delivered by the time France capitulated and these first export P-40s were delivered to the RAF and became known as Tomahawk Mk.I’s.

The British were grateful for all the combat aircraft they could get in 1940, but they did not regard the Curtis Tomahawk Mk.I as suitable for combat. Many of the Tomahawk Mk.I’s still had metric instruments and other French equipment that were not compatible with RAF service and the French throttle control levers worked in reverse of the way British or American ones did. More important, they lacked self-sealing fuel tanks and had neither armour nor bulletproof windscreens to protect their pilots. Consequently, the Tomahawk Mk.I’s were relegated to tactical reconnaissance duties.

As a result of European combat experience, Curtiss quickly installed armour in the P-40 and increased its armament by adding a .30-caliber machine gun in each wing. The improved fighters were called P-40B’s by the Americans and Tomahawk Mk.II’s by the British. The next model, known as the P-40C, also had self-sealing fuel tanks and yet another .30-caliber machine gun in each wing. The USAAC ordered a total of 324 P-40Bs and P-40C’s during 1941. At the same time, the British ordered 930 P-40Cs. Those with British radio equipment were called Tomahawk Mk.IIa’s, while the ones delivered to the RAF with American radios were designated Tomahawk Mk.IIb’s.

First flown in April 1941, the P-40C was considered the first truly combat-ready version of the P-40 line. A price had been paid for the necessary improvements, however. The aircraft’s gross weight had increased from 7,215 to 8,058 pounds, an increase of 843 pounds with no increase in engine power. The P-40C’s rate of climb suffered, it was less manoeuvrable, and its maximum speed fell to 340 mph. By comparison, the Messerschmitt Me-109E used by the Luftwaffe in 1941 weighed only 6,100 pounds and had a top speed of 360 mph. Air Chief Marshal Sir Kenneth Cross, who served in the RAF’s Desert Air Force, recalled ‘the Tomahawk was beautifully built, but short on performance compared to the (Messerschmitt) 109F and G.’

British Tomahawk Mk.II’s first saw action, however, flying reconnaissance sorties and fighter sweeps across the English Channel with the RAF and Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) in 1941. By May 1941 Tomahawks were also operating in the Middle East, eventually serving in that theatre with Australian and South African fighter squadrons as well as the RAF. In addition, the British sent 195 Tomahawks to the Soviet Union after the Germans invaded that country on June 22, 1941.

Airfix’s new-tool P-40 in 1/72 is issued in three different boxes despite the sprue being identical in each. This is not the first 1/72 P-40 of course. Frog was probably the initial issuer of one of these followedby the earlier Airfix and Heller versions and is the basis for the Academy kit and probably others. HobbyBoss issue no less than five P-40’s allowing you to complete the entire production range (with a little work on the side). Jo-Han listed one on box sides, but never carried through with developing the kit prior to the company going under. There have also been early P-40’s by short run and resin kit manufacturers.

Airfix’s new kit is well shaped and has engraved panel lines. These panel lines are actually far deeper than they need to be for a 1/72 kit and this may put off some modellers who have viewed these kits. Frankly, for the vast majority this isn’t a problem and I will offer one solution later in the build.

The interior floor slots into the inside of the lower wing, to be followed by a seat, stick and instrument panel. I suspect this leaves the entire assembly about 2 mm too low so opted to glue directly into the fuselage which turned out to be a wise move.  A decal is provided for instruments. There is also detailing on the inside of the fuselage walls. Nothing great, but better than a blank slate. The upper cowling is a separate piece to facilitate the installation of the prop so it can spin. The lower cowling/radiator is also separate. This more or less eliminates the need to fill seams in these areas but some careful sanding si required to achieve a perfect fit. The kit comes with open or closed cowl flap and can be built with gear up. There are separate exhaust sections and the kit comes with a reasonable pilot. The canopy is clear, but thick and can only be glued in the closed position. I should also mention that there is wheel well detailing and the wheels have flat spots moulded and separate hubs.

Hard to believe that the instructions for this comprise of only sixteen steps, but they do. You will have to cut off a radio mast moulded on one fuselage half but that’s about it. Naturally, all colour numbers are for Humbrol. The aircraft featured are (RAF) Pilot Officer Neville Duke of 112 Squadron and in the other kit, Charles Older's #68 of the 3rd Pursuit Squadron 'Hells Angels'. The decal sheet(s) are nicely printed with data markings where appropriate. I think the roundels for the Hells Angels are a bit too light, but then I have been used to seeing darker blue for these things for decades. There is of course a plethora aftermarket sheets if one wants something different.

Pen-Pusher

Re: Airfix's P-40 in 1/72
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 03:25:35 PM »
A dry-run with parts show which areas need some light attention...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 03:26:56 PM »
Basically, with a little care in fitting and some attention to the engine cowling 'front', all that was required was a thin coat of liquid poly after assembly. Now we're ready for some painting. So far, I'm quite impressed Airfix.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 03:29:13 PM by Pen-Pusher »

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 05:33:28 PM »
First thin coat of desert yellow....

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 09:22:08 AM »
Alas, Airfix's camo-pattern is wrong for this aircraft (and any other on 112 squadron for that matter) so more research was needed. First coat of dark earth (looks lighter under flash) gives a pleasing contrast but the azure blue for the underside is causing me a headache (Can't find a Vallejo equiv?).

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 08:56:07 AM »
Congratulations Airfix, the decals went on surprisingly well. Just the exhausts to fit and a little work on cockpit and paint detail and I'll almost be there! For a small aircraft I've had a lot of pleasure in making this kit!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 09:11:45 AM »
Done (Might weather later?)

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 11:56:39 AM »
Nice clean job.
Grumpy by name and nature