Author Topic: Home made decals  (Read 1755 times)

Roger

Home made decals
« on: December 08, 2016, 09:15:20 AM »
Hi all,
I'm after some advice/help with home made decals. Anyone got any experience of producing their own on a computer and printing them out?  If so, what did you use, and how do you go about it?
Roger

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
Re: Home made decals
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 12:08:12 PM »
This would be really interesting - I need help on this , like most other things.
MSea

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 12:47:49 PM »
       I've done something like this with some success but I airbrushed the pattern I wanted because I didn't have any suitable software to create the images I wanted. I've only done roundels, fin flashes and name plates(on a ship, black letters, white background).
      Assuming you have suitable software to create your design, you need "decal paper" and Micro-scale industries liquid decal film, which is a liquid. Both should be available from "Little cars.com". All the instructions come with the paper.
        You need to be aware that the paper should be compatible with your printer,either inkjet or laser, so choose the right paper, apparently, inkjet works best.
         You have a choice of clear or white paper, depends whether white is in you design or not.
   I've got some clear paper and the decal film, I'll try to remember to bring it along to the next meeting so you can have a look.
Haddock.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 12:49:29 PM by Haddock »

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 12:57:10 PM »
Thanks Haddock that would be great.
MSea

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 01:33:36 PM »
I have printed onto decal paper -you can get two types, P&S Hobbies in Scarborough used to sell it.
I have found that a coat of varnish is required once the design has been printed as otherwise it is very fragile.
You have to cut around your decal carefully.
I printed designs for my railway wagons and gun carriers.
Grumpy by name and nature

Roger

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 08:46:41 PM »
Thanks Chaps
I'm guessing a standard ink jet printer will work fine?  Also Zak, did you design the decals on the computer, and if so what software did you use.
This is all because I have spotted a little problem with the Bronco.  There are some complex panel lines around the four filler caps on the wings.  Unfortunately the real thing had five!  I have seen somewhere decals made in mid greyish that look just like the engraved panel lines, so this is what I am planning on doing.
Thanks for the help so far,
Roger

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 07:47:21 AM »
The decal paper I had was for inkjet printers.
Mine were letters, so I just used word.
Scan in something.
I have also used paint.
Grumpy by name and nature