Author Topic: Airfix Jet Provost T3 New Tool  (Read 3169 times)

Roger

Airfix Jet Provost T3 New Tool
« on: November 14, 2016, 06:08:50 PM »
It normally takes me ages to make anything, most of which could be faffing about!  I've always wondered how quickly I could work, and produce an acceptable result.
Last Wednesday was horribly wet, and I was up at 6am when Angela headed for work.  So I thought I would try to build the new JP3 in time to put it on the table at Telford on Friday afternoon.  The quality had to be good enough to be on our display without looking odd.
All went well, by lunchtime it was assembled, by the evening painted.  Thursday morning was varnishing (Klear), then onto decals.  This is when I ran into a problem.  I put the wing walks on without trouble, then tried to put a leading edge dayglo stripe on.  This was too thick to wrap around easily, and when I did get it in place it was the wrong shape!  So I removed it, taking some paint off the leading edge.  This was then abandoned as it was not going to be ready in time, and I went out for lunch with my Mother in Law instead.  I have to say that in spite of the failure to complete the JP, I was pleased with my progress.
On my return from Telford I thought I would finish it off.  I had found a few additions I could make to the standard kit (thanks Adrian for your advice on this) - I had already replaced the lights on the tanks with clear sprue, but I also needed to add 7 small intakes/outlets.  These were stuck in place with more Klear, then sprayed grey to match.  In order to mask the wing walks without damaging them I put the used decal backing paper on top and then taped over it - you'll see what I mean on the photo.
Next the wing leading edges are masked, sprayed white as an undercoat followed by dayglo orange.  I'll post photos when this is done.
Now just I have got to work out how to correct the canopy, and we'll be in business.  Watch this space!
Happy modelling,
R

Roger

Re: Airfix Jet Provost T3 New Tool
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 05:39:38 PM »
More progress on the JP3.
First pic shows the leading edges sprayed with Xtracolour trainer orange which looked a reasonable match for the kit dayglo decals.
The second shot shows the decals all on.  The difference in colour between the decals and sprayed leading edges needs toning down a bit.
The third picture shows the results of a white/yellow filter on the leading edges.  There was also a medium grey panel line wash, and a bit of fading, done by adding a drop of white into the matt varnish.
More tomorrow hopefully,
happy modelling all,
Roger

Kiteman

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 05:15:29 PM »
and a bit of fading, done by adding a drop of white into the matt varnish.
/quote]

Never heard of that before........thanks for the tip. I will try it out myself.

Roger

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 07:17:59 PM »
And here is the JP finished.  From start to finish it took 13 days, but three of those I was at Telford, so 10 really.  It took slightly longer than it needed to - had I spent an hour on research before starting I would have saved time by not altering things that I had already done.
Anyway the result looks OK, pleased to have it in the cabinet.  The aerials were yellow so I used some yellow stretched sprue (from an old Matchbox Tempest).
The final pic shows it next to the Bronco to show the different sizes of the two projects.  The Bronco will be finished next.
Hope you enjoyed the build,
Happy modelling
Roger

Kiteman

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 04:03:02 PM »
a good looking model is that. Thanks.