Author Topic: ADMIRAL HIPPER.  (Read 14195 times)

Haddock

• View Profile
ADMIRAL HIPPER.
« on: October 26, 2016, 10:55:06 AM »
         And here's the next one. Got this from Croppers with Xmas prezzy vouchers. This gives me an excuse to splash out on "accessories" so I've got some brass barrels, wooden decks and a brass fret from WEM.
        The fret gives you the option to build different periods in her service life provided the weapons fit and other bits are correct.
         There seem to be umpteen paint schemes, it's just a case of selecting the right one.
        I'm sure Trumpeter will have provided the usual silly mistakes but problems are there to be overcome, or ignored as the case may be.
        Watch this space.
Haddock.   

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
Re: ADMIRAL HIPPER.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 12:06:36 PM »
I am watching !!!!!
MSea

Kiteman

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 07:08:18 PM »
Have you finished the last one yet??

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 01:17:16 PM »
Last one's done Kiteman.

At 588mm long this is quite a large model, about 100mm longer than Texas.

First job is to fit the waterline plate, you have the option of waterline or full hull so no need to "waterline" the hull. The hull is quite flimsy so it needs the plate to maintain the hull shape in plan view, unfortunately, it's not rigid enough to keep the hull flat so I've added 2mm of plasticard to stiffen it all up, works quite well. The edges of the plate aren't very pretty and there's a radius all the way round the bottom which leaves a dirty great seam to fill.

Next job is to remove the moulded on anchor chains, they're very nicely moulded but because of the wooden decks, they have to go. I plan to attach one end of the chain to it's anchor, run it around the capstan and let it disappear down it's own hawse pipe, so holes in the hawse pipe are needed, then a hole through the base plate to pull it all ship-shape and Bristol fashion.

Trumpeter never seem to manage to get the deck to sit level with the top edge of the hull, this one needs shimming up by 0.25mm, with the wood deck in place, if I've got it right, the deck should be level with the vertical edge of the hull.

Back to the shipyard.
Haddock.

Kiteman

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 03:32:07 PM »
I do admire your work, fantastic attention to detail, and with the tenacity of a jack russel but you are a glutten for punishment aren`t you. Bordering on masochism I would say.

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 04:30:00 PM »
Here's some of the "goodies".

There is a school of thought that says using wooden decks is a bit of a cheat as you don't have to paint 'em to look like wood, they could be right. However, it don't 'arf add to the modelling effort. As seen, they're 0.4mm thick, 0.1mm is accounted for by the peel-off backing and I reckon the self-adhesive layer is about 0.05mm thick so not a lot of wood left.

If you don't get the build and paint sequence right, they won't go on and they're very fragile. You need to be very careful not to spill paint on 'em and finger marks ain't allowed. It is possible to make adjustments but it's very limited, you can only cut off, not put on. There are 16 sections, 3 cover the main deck from bow to stern.

I'm not convinced the colour is right but who's to know. I like the effect and don't mind the extra effort, so there!

As for the brass, there are 115 part Nos, I'm sure I won't use 'em all. If you look hard, you may see something that looks like spiral staircases, on LH, one RH, that will be fun.

Haddock.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 09:58:01 PM »
Hi Haddock,

Really looking forward to seeing this one.................................!

Question.  Has there ever been a Saint Haddock?  If not, I reckon you ought to be first in line, as your attention to detail and perseverance would try the patience of a saint!

Good luck with the spiral staircase's.
Bless you.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Kiteman

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 07:30:21 AM »
I do admire your work, fantastic attention to detail, and with the tenacity of a jack russel but you are a glutten for punishment aren`t you. Bordering on masochism I would say.
Just to save me typing it again!! Wowza Haddock!!

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 11:10:40 AM »
Here's a few sub-assy's  stuck together, and what it could look like when assembled. Lots more to add yet.
Haddock.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 03:15:54 PM »
Need I say anything.
You engineer you.
Grumpy by name and nature

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 04:23:07 PM »
So here's the main and secondary armament, 8" and 4" respectively. I suppose now, I'm going to have to add some brass ladders to the main turrets, the moulded ones are a bit pathetic!
Haddock.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 04:26:48 PM by Haddock »

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 08:43:52 AM »
So here's the main and secondary armament, 8" and 4" respectively. I suppose now, I'm going to have to add some brass ladders to the main turrets, the moulded ones are a bit pathetic!
Haddock.

Yes you are going to add brass ladders, can't have you only doing a 99% HS.
Have you decided what paint scheme you are doing yet????
MSea

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 09:10:22 AM »
Paint scheme will be January 1940, see pics. Two tone light grey, no swastika's on the decks. The weapons,searchlights and radar fit looks spot on for the period, with one very small exception.
Haddock.
Just realized, you can blow these images up and pan around them to see detail more clearly!!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 09:17:45 AM by Haddock »

Kiteman

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 02:56:26 PM »
This really is an èlluva ship. It almost inspires me to build one........(word to self...steady on, rembember they can`t fly)

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 03:15:13 PM »
                                                          Be inspired!!