Author Topic: Kitty Hawk Bronco  (Read 22433 times)

Kiteman

Re: Kitty Hawk Bronco
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2017, 04:03:43 PM »
I agree with Kev a beutiful ugly aircraft, and beutifully made. I sometimes wish that I lived in the UK so that I could see such things "in the flesh".

Roger

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2017, 07:50:36 PM »
Bit of a delay - a good week skiing in the Alps though.  However the underneath is now all finished so I thought I should put a couple of pics on.
The engine has had some more details added, the fuel tank and pylons are finished and the guns and lights added.  I replaced the kit drop down step, and also the rear door handle.
I found some great pics of various Broncos on IPMS Netherlands, which helped me with the radio aerial.  It took a couple of attempts to make the conical rubber grommets where the wire enters the airframe, the first attempts were totally over scale.  I'm pleased with the final result anyway.
Just the canopy to finish now!
Roger

Roger

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2017, 07:52:37 PM »
Doh - forgot the photos!

Roger

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2017, 06:11:40 PM »
Canopy latching mechanisms made.

Roger

Kiteman

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2017, 02:42:01 PM »
I can only dream of getting this good!

Roger

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2017, 08:17:18 PM »
Just a few bits of stretched sprue really, nothing complicated.  Here is one painted, and also a picture of the first one fitted to the model.
While looking at photos of the latches I spotted some details I had missed in the cockpit, so they need to go in before the rest of the windows go on.  I think this is why it takes me so long to finish!!
Thanks again for the kind words,
Roger

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2017, 11:25:29 AM »
Another stunning build from the Symonds Stable.
Time is relative, you can bung two halves of a fuselage quite quickly, its the detail that eats the time. It's a pity that sometimes we don't look at models closely enough, I'm sure we miss a lot, which is a shame.
Keep taking your time, it's worth it.
Haddock.

Kiteman

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2017, 05:30:06 PM »

It's a pity that sometimes we don't look at models closely enough, I'm sure we miss a lot, which is a shame.

Haddock.

I agree totally with your sentiments Haddock.

Roger

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2017, 08:58:09 PM »
Thanks Chaps for the kind words.
I agree on the not looking closely enough point.  I especially think of this when I go to Telford and look round the competition entries, I come away with the feeling that I have missed most of it - each of the models would take 10 minutes study to see all of the good work and really appreciate it, but most get not much more than a cursory glance.  When I later see photos of them I wish I had been able to study them more!
Roger

bridlufc

« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2017, 10:31:27 PM »
As you are taking a cursory glance how much more time would it take to take a photo then when you have the time to peruse the photo later you can truly appreciate the model. But nothing compares to what the Mk 1 Eyeball can see

Bridlufc

Roger

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2017, 09:18:39 PM »
I'm beginning to think Telford should be a week long!

Almost a disaster today.  I got all four side windows on and noticed that while three were crystal clear, one was like looking out of our bathroom window - everything through it was blurred.  This is when I made the first mistake.  I brushed some Klear on to it.  Now it was blurred and had brush marks on.
So I pulled it off the model.  How do I get Klear off the window?  Second mistake - if you are ever in this position do not try airbrush cleaner (I don't know why I did this). It turned into a sticky mess, that set rock hard after two minutes.
Two hours of wet sanding with wet and dry, sanding sticks and micro mesh, followed by dipping in Klear, and then repeating the whole process as it still wasn't quite right has rescued the situation, it is now as crystal clear as the other windows.  Tomorrow I'll repaint the frames, fix back on the latch/handle and reattach.
Sorry I didn't take any photos of this mess!
Happy modelling,
Roger

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2017, 10:05:53 PM »
GO AND BUY A LOTTERY TICKET.............QUICK!!!!

bridlufc

« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2017, 11:03:26 PM »
Eeeh Roger if it wasnt for bad luck you wouldnt have any luck at all!!  Don't fall in a barrel of nipples because you will only come up sucking your thumbs!!

Bridlufc

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2017, 11:05:13 AM »
I've really enjoyed catching up on this one Roger.  Amazing detail you've put in there.  The Bronco is certainly not ugly when you consider its job - bit like the A10 I think, neither pretty nor ugly, just businesslike.

Roger

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2017, 03:06:52 PM »
I think that's right, business-like. And definitely agree on the A10, another very interesting aeroplane.

Anyway, thanks to "Hurricane" Doris I have been able to get the Bronco finished.  As it is too big to fit in the cabinet it has gone straight into a box for now, but I took a few snaps first - once again sorry about the quality, I'm a modeller not a photographer!

The first picture is from a film on youtube showing the original - the quality of the original is better!  It is a US Marine Corp VMO-6 aircraft at Da Nang, Vietnam, and in the background are US Navy Broncos from the Black Ponies, a light attack squadron.  Around about 1969,

Hope you enjoyed the build, and thanks for reading.
Cheers
Roger