Author Topic: Kitty Hawk Bronco  (Read 22688 times)

Haddock

• View Profile
Re: Kitty Hawk Bronco
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 08:30:38 AM »
Who's Dawn, has she paid her subs?

Kiteman

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 01:20:02 PM »
Just a thought regarding "proper" modellers. The word "proper" can be found in the word propellor, which can be found on an aircraft and not in "screw" which is found on a ship....so there  :D

Roger

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 08:08:42 PM »
Wiring has been started - here are the electrics behind the rear seat  I used 0.2mm cotton covered copper wire from Little Cars for the actual wiring.  A little overscale at about a scale 12mm when scaled up (I am making an estimate of the thickness of the cotton to give an actual diameter of 0.4mm), but reducing the number of wires a bit gives a pleasing effect I think.  The connectors at the end are sections of plastic tube painted a suitable colour, the real multi connectors were huge so these are about in scale.  The cable ties were made from 0.3mm lead wire rolled flat to make a thin ribbon, then painted black.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 07:15:51 AM »
Great detail, some useful tips for car modelling as well.
Grumpy by name and nature

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 08:13:37 AM »
Wow!!
Haddock.

Kiteman

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2016, 06:32:42 PM »
Now that is what I call detailing! WOW!

Roger

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2016, 11:48:09 AM »
Thought I would finish these bits off while waiting for the glue to dry on the fuselage.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2016, 02:47:04 PM »
Great looking seats Roger!
Will you be glazing the instruments?
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Roger

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2016, 04:27:08 PM »
Hi Kev, I think they need glazing, but not decided what I will use to do it with yet.  Maybe PVA, maybe acrylic gloss varnish.  What would you suggest?
These will be fitted later when I return to the cockpit - I will get the major construction out of the way next.  Today I built the sponsons - if anyone else builds this kit be aware that the numbering of the gun bay floors is wrong.  Mine fitted with a bit of adjustment, and fortunately I didn't want them open anyway, so a couple of gaps was no problem. I didn't want the crew compartment open either - not very interesting and I have no good references.
To make sure the wings are straight and strong I am using a box section brass spar that I purchased at our show, so far I have measured and tacked it in place with superglue.
Anyway see photo for todays progress.  I've also included an internal shot showing the cargo compartment - apparently 5 paratroops could squeeze in there.  Also in that photo you can just make out the kit supplied white metal noseweight under the rear cockpit.
Cheers for now
R

Kiteman

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2016, 06:22:09 AM »
A great looking model so far, and plenty of detail on what you have done and the problems you have had, Superb, thank you!

Roger

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2016, 07:38:54 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Kiteman, glad it is enjoyable.
A little more progress - see latest photo.  I must say the fit of things so far is pretty good, hope it continues!

Cheers for now,
R

Kiteman

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2016, 05:52:50 PM »
Keep it coming..

Roger

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2016, 08:42:13 PM »
I didn't make it to Southwell today - a late night with friends put paid to that one!  It has allowed me to press on with the Bronco though.
I didn't stick with the suggested assembly order of course.  Assembling it in my own order and using the brass spar seems to have done the trick - no need for any filler on this one.  Next I'll rub down the seams, maybe with a touch of Mr Surfacer in places.
A couple of panels on the booms were incorrectly numbered on the instructions but it was quite obvious so no problem.  I also remembered a slight fit issue from earlier in the build - the nose bulkhead.  It occurs to me that this kit was first released as an OV-10D with a bigger nose, and I suspect the bulkhead fits that nose OK.  Again it wasn't really a problem, but was notable as the ONLY part in the whole kit so far that hasn't fitted first time!
The second photo shows the flaps clicked into place.
More soon, thanks for reading,
Roger

Roger

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2016, 11:13:02 AM »
A few pictures to show some more progress on the Bronco. A bit slow but we will get there in the end!
First shows the glazing on the instruments - I went for Johnsons Klear in the end, after experimenting with two types of varnish and Kristal Klear.  Still not ideal, I'll do the next one better.
The second shows the nose wheel, with added strips to represent the anti shimmy type - not sure this is right yet either, need to check some more references on that.  I have a feeling it has more of a V shaped groove in the centre rather than a flat bit.

Roger

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2016, 11:14:34 AM »
Next is a few of the port engine - this side will have the cowlings closed.