Author Topic: Kitty Hawk Bronco  (Read 22442 times)

Roger

Kitty Hawk Bronco
« on: August 27, 2016, 07:56:30 PM »
Hi All,
Someone pointed out today (Hi Steve) that I hadn't posted for a while, so I thought it was time I introduced my next project - the Kitty Hawk 1/32 OV-10a Bronco that I picked up at Southwell last year.
I have had in mind to make a Bronco for a while.  It was one of the first aircraft I modelled, when I was about 7 or 8.  The old airfix 1/72 kit in white plastic - lots of glue and no paint.  However seeing them at various airshows kept my interest, although I never fancied the work required to make a good job of the existing kits.  When I saw the Kitty Hawk kit I thought it was finally time to have a go.
Photo 1 shows the very nice box art.
Photo 2 shows some of the sprues - I don't think I have ever built a kit with this many parts!  It was a job to find things as the letters identifying each sprue are so tiny, so I have put labels on each with masking tape.
The decals were severely out of register to the point of being unusable, and I got no response from an email to Kitty Hawk.  However before I had a chance to pursue this further I found a nice set of markings by Caracal - see photo 3.  These have some nice slightly off the beaten track options so will do very nicely.  Still not quite decided between two of the options!
Part 2 in a mo....

Roger

Re: Kitty Hawk Bronco
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 08:09:35 PM »
....and so the build has started.  As usual we are starting indoors. The first photo shows one of the ejection seats.  I have added some rivet detail on the sides with lead sheet embossed with the teeth of a razor saw, and you can also see one of the prominent curly cables (for pics I guess) made from fine brass wire.
The second photo shows work progressing in the cockpit.  While the level of detail might be adequate for a smaller scale kit, in 1/32 (and with windows this big and clear) the kit parts are looking a bit basic.  In addition the observers position needed quite a few alterations to the side walls/consoles to make it a bit closer to the real thing.
I am moving on to the instrument panels now (you can just see one in photo 2).  These have reasonable moulded detail, over which you are supposed to put a decal (fortunately on a small extra sheet that wasn't out of register).  However in this scale I thought this would look a bit two dimensional.  I have drilled out holes for the instruments on the panel and will use the decal behind the panel, suitably glazed.
Next will be a very prominent feature of the Bronco cockpit - masses of wiring.  If this rain keeps up there should be more progress soon.  In the meantime, happy modelling to you all.
TTFN,
Roger

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 07:23:48 AM »
Looks a detailed build, a lot to keep you busy there.
Grumpy by name and nature

Roger

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 07:58:47 AM »
Indeed it does look complicated Zak, but I'm hoping it will speed up a bit once I am out of the interior.  I shall probably have one of the engines exposed but the kit parts look pretty good in this area.
Fingers crossed it all fits together!
Hope to see some more of your amazing creations soon?

Roger

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 07:01:07 PM »
Nice work Roger,

Always liked the Bronco, and seeing one put through it's paces at Waddington a couple of years ago made me only like it more.
Look forward to this build in the hands of a master.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Roger

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 08:33:16 PM »
Thanks BigKev. Progress has stalled a bit as I have hurt my back. Hopefully nothing serious and back in the modelling chair getting some paint on the cockpit soon.
Roger

Kiteman

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 06:16:21 PM »
Hey....some nice work and attention to detail going on here....I am liking it....keep it coming

Roger

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 03:25:09 PM »
Hi All, thanks for the interest and the encouragement, I thought I should give you an update before heading off to sea.  There has been a little progress, mainly in the colouring in department.  I have assembled the first two seat belts and they don't look too bad (Eduard, bought half price at our show on Sunday), rest to follow.  I am experimenting with how best to glaze and assemble the instrument panel - not sure I have found the best solution yet.
The main thing missing from the cockpit is the wiring - I don't think I have seen a cockpit with more bundles of electrical cables before!  It has also been a challenge sorting out what is appropriate for a Vietnam era OV-10A.  The internet has cockpit photos of As, Cs, Ds plus firefighters, counter drugs birds, german target tugs, NASA research aircraft, and privately owned aircraft. And of course none are properly labelled.  However by comparing rear instrument panel shapes I have found some photos of what I need.  To make the bundles I have cut some electrical connectors from tube, cut some lengths of cotton covered copper wire, and painted some lead ribbon to make cable ties.  Just need to assemble one and then I'll show you what I mean - if Plan A actually works of course.
Righto, I'm off to the Adriatic.  Thanks for reading and happy modelling,
Roger

Kiteman

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 04:24:59 PM »
Wowza....great work that! I am envious.

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 09:08:06 AM »
Lovely stuff, it's a shame a lot of it won't be visible on the finished article.
Haddock.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 03:06:52 PM »
I don't know about that Haddock - I suspect we'll see more than we won't as the thing has got a huge canopy - a true greenhouse.  I have an Academy 1/72 Bronco which I am now going to sell!!!

Hope to read more about this soon Roger, it's a lovely aircraft which you are doing proud with your build.

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 04:52:14 PM »
Roger always does a nice job, just a pity he don't do ships!!

Kiteman

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 06:29:02 PM »
Roger always does a nice job, just a pity he don't do ships!!
......thats because he`s a proper modeller ;)

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 08:11:57 PM »
...... if he was a proper modeller Kiteman he would do ships.
BUT I have to admit its a great model and well done !!!
MSea

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 09:02:18 PM »
Now chaps, lets settle this like true gentlemen..............................................

Handbags at Dawn!

Bigkev
I hope my next is always better