Author Topic: AN-2 Colt - Workhorse or Thoroughbred - A Revell(ation)!  (Read 6558 times)

Pen-Pusher

AN-2 Colt - Workhorse or Thoroughbred - A Revell(ation)!
« on: June 27, 2016, 06:59:42 PM »
The Antonov An-2 Colt was originally designed to meet a 1947 Soviet Ministry of Forestry requirement for a new aircraft for agricultural and utility roles. The resulting aircraft, despite looking rather ungainly, was superbly rugged and possessed excellent flying characteristics including full controllability at speeds as low as 30mph and even the ability to fly backwards if pointed into a headwind. Until relatively recently the aircraft held the record for the longest production run in aviation history and over 18,000 examples have been produced. The aircraft saw military service with various Eastern Bloc air forces and is still in both military and civil service in many countries[i

Sharp-eyed modellers may have noticed that Revell's 1/72 kit of the AN.2 is a re-release of a kit originally produced by Trumpeter / Bilek way back in 1998 - the first time Revell released one of the Chinese manufacturer’s kits under their own label. This is a fairly simple kit comprised of 93 parts spread across three sprues of grey plastic and one of clear. The quality of the mouldings is above average and the engraved panel lines are fairly fine although possibly a little too soft in some places for the purists? Interior detail is confined to the cockpit, which includes parts for the rear bulkhead, floor, crew seats, control columns and instrument panel. The passenger/cargo compartment to the rear of the cockpit is completely devoid of detail, so those wishing to open up the doors and show it off will either have a nice little scratch building project ahead of them or will have to persuade the Pavla set designed for the Italeri/Bilek kit to fit. At time of writing I couldn't find a resin accessory either.

Trumpeter and Italeri issue their kit(s) with floats and ski as an alternative but it remains to be seen if Revell will issue these as promised?

The wings are nicely moulded and feature separate ailerons on both the upper and lower wings. Alignment of the wings will be easier than on most biplanes as the upper wing is firmly attached to the top of the fuselage and just two struts join the wings together but the trailing edge attachment needs some care. A basic rigging diagram is provided and the transparent parts are fairly clear (although the fuselage windows are way too thick). Some care will have to be taken when assembling the cockpit glazing as it is supplied in three parts owing to the unusual shape.

Three marking options are provided:
• An-2 D-FONE “Roter Baron”, Air Albatross, Essen-Muhlheim Airport, 2010;
• An-2 469, Verbindungsfliegerkette, 1. Luftverteidigungs-Division, LSK/LV, Cottbus, 1986; and
• An-2 1G5929, Red 03, Soviet Air Force in GDR, Grossenhain, 1992.

The decals are up to the usual Revell standard – sharply printed and perfectly in register.
More on the assembly experience later....
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 04:42:21 PM by Pen-Pusher »

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: AN-2 Colt - Workhorse or Thoroughbred - A Revell(ation)!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 09:12:53 PM »
I always thought that this Revell boxing was of the Bilek moulding.

Not seen it in the flesh, but looking at photo's the sprues are very like the Bilek/Italeri offering?

No expert, but look with interest how this one comes along.

Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 09:32:48 AM »
I was always under the same impression Kev but checked the Scalemates database and was proven wrong although other versions show Trumpy's kit coming from Bilek too?? Trying to find details of interior before I open the liquid poly bottle....
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/102294-revell-04667-antonov-an-2-colt
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:35:11 AM by Pen-Pusher »

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 09:41:26 AM »
Success - Pavla to the rescue!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 04:44:45 PM »
Some nice drawings...

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 09:28:13 PM »
Hi Pen Pusher,
Very interesting, and something I didn't know. Nice plans, any of the Lala variant? on that source.
Bigkev

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 07:48:33 AM »
If you're referring to the research aircraft which I think had a twin tail configuration (similar to the Twin Pioneer) I'll see if I can source some drawings.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 08:49:49 AM »
An-2F (BNR SSC, NAC) first flew in April 1949. A Night-Scout plane proposed for the correction of artillery fire, it is characterized by glazed with bulletproof glass booth navigator-nasochvach in the tail section of the fuselage. Engine and cabins were also protected with armour. Twin tail configuration and armed with 2 x 20mm. guns B-20. Can carry up to 4 lighting bombs UAB-100-50 or fotoaviobombi FOTAB-50-35. Would make an interesting model BigKev?

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 01:40:37 PM »
Hi Pen-Pusher,
Thanks for the details of this variant, however this was not the one I had in mind.

It was of the conversion of an An-2 with a shortened fuselage, complete with jet engine and a lattice type tail structure with a tailplane and two endplates

I have a 3 view, which I attach but not anything better with fuselage cross section, detail, and dimension wise.
Cheers,
Bigkev

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 11:14:43 AM »
Further to Big Kev's impressions that the Revell and Italeri kits have different origins - he is right and I was wrong! A careful examination and comparison of the two issues by Flint-Pete and myself show one is definitely 'cloned' from the other but which came first is still not clear. The basic mouldings are so similar as to be interchangeable with only some additional surface detail included on the upper wings on the Italeri kit that we believe may be connected to the plane's de-icing system. The cockpits do differ in that the Revell issue comes in three pieces (Photo 1) whereas the Italeri has five (Photo 2) and much more fiddly with the upper section devoid of ribbing to allow it be blanked (painted) out.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 11:20:04 AM by Pen-Pusher »

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 11:29:54 AM »
Interiors of the 'Colt' vary considerably but detail is somewhat lacking in both kit versions being discussed. There are two PE sets for the cockpit and as previously mentioned, resin parts for both the cockpit and main cabin - the later containing a vac-form canopy that requires VERY careful cutting (Well above the author's skill-set I'm afraid). Some detail from these shown below to be going on with.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 11:44:53 AM »
The old VEB kit of the An-2 should not be ignored either. It provides a unique version with rectangular windows and sabre-blade prop. Believed to be between 1/73 and 1/75 scale it sits quite comfortably with the 1/72 version although the wings are noticeably short. A little work on this kit which is still available will enable you to produce one (or more) of the 100 built of this version for airline use. iI'm hoping flint-Pete might do a review on this here later? (hint)

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 04:04:21 PM »
Looking at both the Revell and Italeri kits, both are a blank canvas as far as any interior are concerned. When I say 'blank' I mean blank! No flooring, ceiling, inside detail aft of the forward bulkhead at all; and the cockpit too is somewhat basic. Looking at the images below the reader can see there are differing levels to work towards... (Be still my beating heart!)

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 04:48:32 PM »
... and this detail from a 1/33 'paper model'. Although full of admiration, all I can say is thank the Gods for plastic!