Author Topic: USS TEXAS BB35 in 1:350  (Read 28947 times)

Haddock

• View Profile
USS TEXAS BB35 in 1:350
« on: June 16, 2016, 02:04:17 PM »
           This will have to be the next project folks. I got the kit at North Shields for £55, sounds a lot at first but there are 840 plastic parts and 200+ etched brass parts, railings included.
           The finished model is roughly 500mm long by 90mm wide so I reckon that's good value for money, I guess between 3 and 4 months work.
            If you look at the pictures, the first two are as she is now, the only preserved dreadnought type warship in the world.
            Look closely at the third and you'll see she's wearing a camouflage scheme, as she was in late 1944.
               The fourth is as she was in 1945 painted in " measure 21 " the same scheme as USS Laffey wore in her short career.
            Five and six are " measure31a design 8B ". This is the scheme I have chosen because I think it looks a bit more interesting than just " navy blue all over " albeit two shades of navy blue.
            Seven is a pack of " authentic colours " . I know I said I thought that type of thing was a waste of money but they didn't cost any more than buying individual paints, so there!
            Eight is the main hull parts ( I had to open the box and bash some plastic ). The seams between the armour plates look enormous but if you look at pic 2, they can be seen, so some chiselling and sanding will be in order to knock 'em back somewhat.   

Watch this space.
Haddock.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: USS TEXAS BB35 in 1:350
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 03:13:18 PM »
My type of ship.
Grumpy by name and nature

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 08:38:24 AM »
Quite handsome in an ugly sort of way, looks a bit of a thug!!
Haddock.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 08:43:40 AM »
This looks a very business-like vessel.  Them seams are certainly visible in all the pictures but I agree, they do look a touch overdone on the kit.  I imagine it would be easier to take them down a bit that try and add them to the hull if it were moulded flat though?  If that WERE the case, how would you do it?  Stretched sprue or plastic rod and then bring it down again if needed or is there some special engineers/modellers magic I've not learned yet?

I'll be keeping a close eye on this Haddock.

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 09:01:13 AM »
Dunno yet, but I'll let you know when I do.
Haddock.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 09:38:13 AM »
Where is she presently moored?

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 02:22:04 PM »
San Jacinto State Park.  Near Houston. Texas.

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 04:09:39 PM »
If you would like to look at lots of photo's, google " USS Texas photo tour by Steve Backer ver 2 steel navy.
Haddock.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 09:11:32 AM »
Thanks Haddock for the web site - she looks like it will make a good model.
I still like the older ships, they seem to have more about them than the newer ones - but each to his own and as long as you have fun making it, thats all that matters.
MSea

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 09:21:36 PM »
Made a bit of a start whilst the water is drying on the two destroyers.

Hull halves are well distorted, needed some force to close up to acceptable limits.

Getting ready to mark and cut below the waterline.

Note to self, don't chuck away the wrong bit.

I'm always a bit apprehensive when I hack to death fifty odd quids-worth of kit but it seems to have worked out reasonably well.

Haddock.

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 09:34:25 PM »
Fortunately, I kept the right bit!

Decks I place, looks reasonably flat up to now.

Haddock.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 07:11:12 AM »
Interesting stuff Tony.

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 01:59:34 PM »
The mystery is solved, I think.
           If you look at my first post I mention the huge seams between the armour plates which some modellers thought they would be welds. These aren't armour plates, they're the outer skin of the anti-torpedo bulges and as such would be relatively thin compared with the armour plate (10-12 inches on this ship). The bulges would be part filled with water, the idea being that they would absorb and dissipate the forces generated by an exploding torpedo, isolating it from the main hull ( not a very good explanation, but the best I can do). These bulges were added sometime during the 1930's and were certainly there by 1937.
          The detail we can see is either a joggle in one plate so that it can be riveted to the adjacent plate(s) or a joining strip (strake) so that two plate can be riveted together, one row of rivets in the first instance or two in the second.
          Whichever method, they're quite prominent as the pics show.
Haddock.
           On occasions, one side would be completely flooded, inducing a list, thus increasing the range of a broadside!!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 02:04:45 PM by Haddock »

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 04:33:20 PM »
I guess this is what you would call "busy", painting should be fun.
Haddock.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 06:55:12 PM »
This is already a stunning piece of work Sir. I have just acquired this kit having watched two excellent documentaries on BBC on Jutland and Scapa Flow - which included visits to this great ship. However, having seen your diligent work thus far - old Kate Dewar's offspring is quite 'feart' at the prospect of its build. Maybe I'll just rustle up another couple of less damaged Panzerschiffe instead!

Look forward to seeing more 'Big H' (Only the purists will understand that!)