Author Topic: THINNING PAINT FOR AIRBRUSHING - some advice please.  (Read 2004 times)

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
THINNING PAINT FOR AIRBRUSHING - some advice please.
« on: June 15, 2016, 02:29:53 PM »
I wonder how you all physically thin paint for airbrushing whilst minimising wastage.  Do you mix it in a separate container and then decant it into the airbrush, pour the paint and thinners into the airbrush hopper and stir it in there or something else entirely?  This IS a serious question as I may be worrying too much about the odd drop or smear that inevitably gets left behind unused in a separate container.

I'm also considering thinning my Hataka acrylics in the actual paint bottle once there is sufficient headroom in it as I am using these purely for airbrushing.  Would this cause any issues or is it a safe enough practice do you think?

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: THINNING PAINT FOR AIRBRUSHING - some advice please.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 05:50:57 PM »
I usually thin in a separate container, I bought some small plastic shot glasses from Poundland, unfortunately they seem to be out of stock.
I did try thinning Vallejo in the bottle but it went kind of strange, I now thin to order.
Hope this helps.
Grumpy by name and nature

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 10:29:03 PM »
It does indeed Zak, many thanks.  As I say, I think I was being too "Yorkshire", fretting about the tiny bit of residue I would waste by it sticking to the sides of a separate vessel but I'm over that now.  Separate bottles it is then  :D

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 08:39:43 AM »
      Like Zak, I thin to order, but in the paint cup, thinners first then paint on top, swish it round with a brush then spray some onto paper towel just to get it moving and clear any neat thinners from the brush. you soon get to know the correct proportions. Surprising how little paint you use compared with brush painting.
      I read somewhere that pre-thinned acrylic paint, left in the bottle will break down and become unusable, depends how long you leave it but it's weeks rather than days.
      Finally, not all paints and thinners are the same so it's best to use the thinners recommended by the manufacturer till you find out otherwise.
      If in doubt, just slosh it on like wot I does, it seems to work for me.
Haddock.
PS read my e-mail. 

Roger

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 09:07:10 PM »
I thin in a separate container, to a consistency like milk.  This usually takes 2 parts thinner to one part paint.  I usually just use the manufacturers thinners, but sometimes replace some thinner with Klear.
As I am normally mixing the colours I need, I keep a notebook with the mixes in so I can mix the same colour (for example Extra Dark Sea Grey) on a later project.
Hope this helps.
R

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 09:02:31 AM »
Hi Roger - I use the same method as Haddock -- mix in the cup.
MSea

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 09:05:07 AM »
The brain is still not working at all -- sorry Wizzel just called you Roger.
MUST engage brain before speaking and writing !!!!!!
MSea

bridlufc

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 12:03:02 AM »
Airbrushing can be difficult at the best of times, after all it is a learning curve, you will only achieve results by practise and experiment. I use spray cans of car primer initially to prime my models as it shows up any defects that need filling and sanding, after that I use the appropriate primer and paint.
If you are canny, after priming, you can flush out your airbrush into an appropriate container and reuse this for priming again but you will need to gauge the thickness of paint for priming.

Bridlufc