Author Topic: POLE TO POLE - PZL 37 A & B  (Read 7790 times)

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
POLE TO POLE - PZL 37 A & B
« on: June 10, 2016, 05:47:29 PM »
Hot on the heels of the Lavochkin LA5 FN, I'm keeping up the momentum and am just about ready to start on my next aviation project - there is also a maritime thing I'm busting to get stuck into as well but more of that on an other thread.  I thought I'd tease you all a bit first though and test you knowledge. So to begin...

This is not a mainstream aircraft so hopefully you won't get it easily.  It first flew in 1936, was accepted into general service two years later.  It was produced during 1938 and 39 and was retired in 1944.  It saw combat from 4th September 1939 onwards.  There were only 11 produced of the version I'm building here including the first prototype.  It was used by two main airforces and some were captured and used by the enemy.

The kit itself (I'm keeping the manufacturer a secret for now) is very reasonably priced for what it is.  In terms of quality and detail I would rate it somewhere between Frog and Heller.  There's plenty of flash to clean up, some ejector pin marks in the most inconvenient places and the sprue gates are quite thick.  That said, I enjoy dealing with these issues as I see myself as an aspiring modeller rather than an assembler!

My first task will be to sand down the raised panel lines and scribe them back in as recessed as I have decided I will try and learn a new skill with each new build.  Cunningly, I have a second kit which is ALMOST identical (different version with only one significant difference) that I can use as a template for the scribing.  Obviously if this goes to plan, when building the second kit, I can follow on by using the first kit as my template.

Anyway, some pictures which I hope won't give too much away for now.  I hope you enjoy seeing this come together and that it takes much less than 3 years!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 12:10:04 PM by Wizzel »

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT AM I BUILDING NOW?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 07:31:04 PM »
Hi Wizzel,
Could it be the Polish Bomber commonly know as 'Los' or 'Elk' in English. Twin engine, twin tailed, used by the Germans and the Czechs??
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Wizzel

• View Profile
Re: WHAT AM I BUILDING NOW?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 10:07:13 PM »
Crikey Kev, you're far too good at this game - it is indeed, well done.  I made the fatal Army instructor mistake of "assuming zero knowledge".  The little research I've done and the kit markings would have it that it was the Romanians, rather than the Czechs who were the other main users but I shall be building it in Polish markings anyway.  I have both the A and B version, the significant difference being single and twin tail fins respectively and I plan to build both in tandem with any mistakes in kit A hopefully not being repeated in kit B which, logically, should be of a slightly higher standard.  Mmmmm!

The A is under the very early stages of construction as you read this, having had a rough rub down to remove raised panel lines and I've just started filling the ejector pin holes with Vallejo liquid putty so far tonight but I can report that the manufacturer is Mister Craft.  The plastic is quite soft and so easy to work with on the bits I have done so far.  I'm taking time cleaning all the bits up first with constant dry fitting and plenty of forward planning to see if there are issues such as potential steps between the nose glazing and fuselage that I can do something about before I have sub-assemblies that don't fit as well as they could have with a bit of work.  A few photographs of the parts just to satisfy those who prefer pictures to words are attached.

Wizzel

• View Profile
Re: POLE TO POLE - PZL 37 A & B
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 12:50:22 PM »
Pictures will follow but an update on this so you know I've not lost interest:

Outer surfaces have been given a rough smooth down then checked and finished properly ready for re-scribing.  Sink holes inside the fuselage that would be visible through the glazing have been filled and sanded and the interior sprayed silver, as has the flight deck, bomb aimer's area and wheel housings under the engine nacelles.  Painting of the interior detail commences tonight then it will be time to join the fuselage.  I thought the fuselage was going to be about 1mm narrower than the nose glazing at first which would have meant plasticard shims in between the forward fuselage halves to widen it slightly but once the mating edges of the nose and glazing were cleaned up so they sit nicely together, it seems to be a good match.   

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 10:31:50 AM »
Some small progress to date.  The interior is painted, installed and the fuselage stuck together.  As you can see, the joints are not spectacular so tonight they will be cleaned up and filled where necessary ready for the panel lines to be scribed in - my first attempt at such a thing.  Engine components have been given a first undercoat and they will be assembled tonight.  There was lots of cleaning up required, particularly on the propeller blades but it was enjoyable al the same.  Also on the bill for tonight is starting work on the flaps.  As they are moulded into the upper wing section, my only option is to carve them away completely and make new ones out of plasticard which I am looking forward to.  I'm also going to clean up the nose glazing and cockpit then give is a good dip or two in Klear ready for masking.  Pictures of this forthcoming work will follow in due course.

As I am currently without a laptop - the motherboard failed and as I've just forked out for a new washing machine and fridge freezer, IT is a low priority - I can only get online at work so will update you as and when I can but be assured, work is progressing nicely on this kit despite all the faults.

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 12:52:44 PM »
Nice to see a burst of activity.
Haddock.

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 12:08:00 PM »
In between tending my crops at the allotment, learning the bass lines for 30 songs for the band I'm joining and hand washing the laundry (new washing machine being delivered tomorrow), I have found a few hours spare to lavish on the PZL.  As I am putting the flaps in the lowered position and they are moulded into the top half of the wing, the process was a bit more complicated than the Lavochkin.  First I had to grind and sand away the existing flaps and clean up the inside of the wing then I had to cut out new flaps from plasticard to fit the gap and sand them to profile.  Easy for them with the experience but it's the first time I've ventured into major surgery so it took some courage to make a start.  Anyhow, tis done as far as removing the old flaps with the exception of a little smoothing on the underside of the top wing.  The shape of the new flaps have been cut out and just need sanding to profile then I can start putting the major assemblies together.  It's still a little rough and ready still but I'm still learning as I go so I'm not overly concerned.  I know I'll be pleased with the end result.  Pictures attached as evidence!   
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 02:43:47 PM by Wizzel »

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 09:31:59 PM »
Hi Wizzel,
A thumbs up from me on this one. Nice to see you putting in extra detail on a kit. Well done!
Look forward to seeing it progress.
Bigkev

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 09:47:56 AM »
Since the last post I've made some progress - the fuselage has been filled, sanded & primed.  Priming revealed that a little more filler was required and this has now been sanded down again.  More primer will follow this evening which will hopefully reveal a clean join ready for panel line scribing.

The wing halves are together and the joins cleaned up. 

The tail section is moulded as a separate unit to allow both versions to be made from the same kit (the differences being with single or twin fin).  For the A version, this involves cutting off the upper tail cone from the top section as this part is also moulded as part of the fin assembly.  This is great for me as it's testing my surgical skills and I have to say I am enjoying 'converting' this kit immensely.  It's not that hard after all is it?  There is also a need to adjust the fit of the connection between the tail and the fuselage and I mulled over either sanding down the projection at the back of the fuselage or thinning the inside walls of the tail cone.  In the end, I opted for the latter as the plastic was thick enough to allow this.  It still needs cleaning up but you get a rough idea from the pictures.

I'll be continuing this next week as the Hull Model Show will keep me busy this weekend but I imagine once this is cleaned up, things will progress fairly quickly as all the major components will be ready to assemble.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 11:14:38 AM »
Good stuff Dave, even the small ads to read as well.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 09:13:42 PM »
Hi Wizzel,
Nice to see you are getting to grips with this model. It'll be nice to see once it is finished.
Keep plugging away chum, you've got this one under control.
Bigkev

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 08:48:26 AM »
Inbetween setting up and running the HVSC Model Show this weekend, I managed to take BigKev's advice and do a bit more plugging away at the PZL.  I managed to plug up the back end in fact by getting the tail on.  This was no mean feat as the structure meant a lot of carving to get it to sit right and as a result, plenty of filling and sanding will be needed.  There was a time when I would have hidden from such a task but now I'm really looking forward to the challenge.  I glued the bottom half of the tail-cone on first.  This had the horizontal stabilisers fitted so I could make sure to get them level before working on the top half of the tail-cone and fin.  Superglue held it on a treat, firm enough for me to carve the sides of the lower cone so that the top half would sit flush with the top of the fuselage.  Big gaps at this stage but I'll fill these with a mix of Squadron Green Putty mixed with Revell liquid poly.  This makes the putty a lot more compliant and it also sets much harder, making the finish smoother and easier to sand, particularly in awkward areas.  Pictures of this when I get that far but for now, that tail section...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 08:00:55 AM by Wizzel »

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 08:01:24 AM »
Hi Wizzel,
Nice to see it coming along and interesting to hear about the Green Stuff and Liquid Poly, must try that one.

I think 'tail' end or 'rear' might have been a better (more appropriate) description.............................

Bigkev

I got me thesaurus out and chose "back".

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 09:39:04 AM »
The tail section is now in place.  The horribly large gaps have now been filled - whether they could have been made smaller with more careful surgery, I have no idea but a concoction of aforementioned Squadron Green Putty and Revell liquid poly did the trick.  This mix works very well for me as I find that the putty on its own is a little too inflexible and dries quicker than I can apply it effectively.  The poly not only thins it down (and you can control the viscosity by putting more or less poly in) and makes it easier to fill gaps with but slows down the setting time AND ensures it dries very hard so is much easier to sand to profile.  This was a tip passed to me from one of the Havixbeck Model Club members.

Once the mix had dried overnight, I gave it a good sand down and then applied Mr Surfacer  500 to any obvious areas that I had missed with the putty/poly mix and when dry, rubbed it down and gave it a blast with primer.  As you can see, there are still a few small blemishes that need attention but that's the whole point of the exercise isn't it!  On the whole, I am pleased with how the tail looks, particularly as when dry fitting it throughout the build I know what it WAS like at the start.  Again, this process serves to boost my confidence in my modelling.  I am hoping that this will be finished in time to be brought to the club meeting in August and that the version B, with the twin tail, well under way.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 11:04:40 AM »
Great work, it is all in the detail.
Grumpy by name and nature