Author Topic: Advice needed - airbrush compressor  (Read 3098 times)

Roger

Advice needed - airbrush compressor
« on: June 01, 2016, 07:24:26 PM »
Hi All
Progress has now stalled on the Lightning - my compressor packed up today.   have had a good look round the internet, and am tending towards the Sparmax TC610 (sold by Little Cars as the "Little-tank compressor", though I have found it cheaper elsewhere).  My questions are:
- has anyone got one of these, and if so are they any good?
- are there any others that people would recommend I look at?
I shall probably order a new one tomorrow.

Cheers all
R

Roger

Re: Advice needed - airbrush compressor
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 09:20:05 AM »
Hi All
I did some online research and Sparmax appear to be a reputable brand, part of the DHCL Group - they seem to make compressors for Iwata, Revell, Little Cars, as well as selling them under their own Sparmax brand.  They are based in Taiwan, and have been in business since 1978 (which only seems like yesterday, but apparently is 38 years ago).
Reviews of the TC610H on various model forums all seem to sing it's praises, I haven't found a bad word about them, which is most unusual!
I have ordered from a company in Fort William which also seems to get good feedback - I'll let you all know more when it arrives.
Cheers
R

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 08:00:32 AM »
Look forward to the updates Roger.  As I have now set foot into the world of airbrushing, I am planning to upgrade from my no-name compressor (which does a good enough job for me at the moment) at some stage and have been taking advantage of the Little Cars rig at shows, just to get the feel of things. 

Roger

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 09:42:12 AM »
On my return from Iceland I found this nice package waiting for me.....

Roger

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 09:54:11 AM »
So what's in the box?  Obviously the compressor, a very nicely finished piece of kit, with good connectors between the tank and compressor, adjustable feet and an easy to use drain under the tank to remove the condensate water.
Also in the box was a braided hose to connect the airbrush - I won't use this at the moment as I use a lightweight vinyl hose that doesn't interfere with movement of the airbrush.
Finally there is the regulator/moisture trap.  This has two outlets (so you can run two airbrushes) with one covered by a removable cap.  Rather than flimsy plastic and a leaky connection that you get on cheaper airbrushes, this unit is die cast metal, and with a properly designed connector to the air tank.
30 seconds assembly and we are ready to play.  In use the compressor is quieter than it's predecessor when running, and it runs a lot less often to charge the tank as there is no air loss between the air tank and regulator unit.
Delivery was free of charge - the price on the website was what I paid.  I ordered it on a Thursday and my neighbour received it on the Friday apparently, so the company I purchased from seemed very good
Anyway, I'm a happy bunny now, ready to finish the Lightning T5.
Cheers all,
Roger

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 11:29:38 AM »
That has the look of a very nice piece of kit. I think the compressor is more important than the air-brush.

A reliable source of dry air will turn a mediocre air-brush into something half decent, it don't seem to work the other way round.

Haddock.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 07:08:16 PM »
Hi Roger,
I agree with Haddock, a good compressor is an essential piece of kit for all the reasons he states.

Will you now be accepting bookings for the hire of said piece of kit?

Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Roger

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 07:51:10 PM »
I still have the old compressor, if I find a suitable air tank on the internet I can have a spare.  Might hire that out!
Anyway, I'm sure you have a very nice compressor Kev, seeing the results you are getting,
R

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 08:05:43 PM »
I was only teasing Roger,
But thanks for the comment!
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Roger

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 08:15:18 PM »
No worries, looking forward to seeing your next production.

R

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 09:56:33 AM »
Advice on compressors noted.  I've now started a compressor fund.  Are you allowed to say how much this was and which site you got it from Roger?

Roger

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 09:02:22 PM »
Happy to do that off forum - one of the stall holders at our show sells them so I don'y want to upset anyone!!  8)