Author Topic: Record Breaking 'Meatbox'  (Read 9536 times)

Pen-Pusher

Re: Record Breaking 'Meatbox'
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 02:22:33 PM »
It took a little bit of work - especially where the outer wings had to be fitted but it's a compliment to the Airfix and Frog toolmakers that their overall measuring seems to have been on the ball and matching the two kits has been less problematic than I feared. Had a bit of filling to do on the nose, rear fuselage and on underside but that was mainly due to Novo's poor quality moulding (warping plastic) and my inadequate skill-set. Checked over areas where several periods of 'wet 'n' dry' were necessary with a quick brush of paint and - yes, not a join line in sight - (Note: Pat on back for self) - but now the painting must start...... maybe tomorrow?

I hope to complete this as EE455 (Yellow Peril) but decals are proving a problem as the Union Flag is way oversized? The other option would be EE454 in standard RAF camo with a high gloss finish (the actual record-breaker at 606 as opposed to YP's 603 mph) - Any suggestions?

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 10:12:33 PM »
Compliments on the filling and sanding!  I have now got my confidence up in this area after my limited run gliders and the Lavochkin so can endorse your pat on the back.  It's most satisfying to get an invisible join where there was a gaping canyon previously isn't it?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 01:09:48 PM »
Without doubt! So many of the older kits need much more attention especially (as in this case) where you are using two to make one so to speak. Sadly, quite a number of the Frog kits still being issued show how moulds have deteriorated and mis-flows (photo) during the injection process are more or less the norm. That was certainly the case with this Frog/Novo Meteor. If my 'stash' of original Frog ones was not so diminished I might have risked one on this project? Glad to hear you're back 'spuing and gluing' and look forward to comparing experiences as we progress.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 04:34:21 PM »
Having 'carefully' painted the inside of the intake cowlings silver before assembling.... I now find out they were yellow after all!!!! >:(

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2016, 11:52:43 AM »
Some progress at last. As most of you know I've never joined the 'air-brush' community and remain faithful to the few old cat-hairs wrapped round a stick! So my modelling reflects this ancient but enduring practise. Nonetheless, I'm quite please with this so far which includes my first use of Vallejo gloss varnish- a pleasing alternative to Tamiya Acrylics!

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 12:54:37 PM »
That's a nice looking finish!  I also still enjoy brush painting so although I have started to learn to airbrush, I will never sell my soul to it.  I get stacks of pleasure from brush painting so will honour the older kits with this method and use enamels but I do want to learn how to airbrush too as I have found acrylics much easier to apply this way.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2016, 05:51:53 PM »
That looks like a nice finish for brushing.
Grumpy by name and nature

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 07:39:38 PM »
Knowing the b****r who built it, probably photo-shopped....but thanks anyway.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2016, 12:28:44 PM »
Decaled and wheels down! Had to 'mould' my own wheels using my own 'gunk' and a plasticine mould - but the result was better than expected. Some 'touching-up' to do on paint and then the cockpit to finish her off.

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 04:36:55 PM »
Very smart that.
Haddock.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 08:59:38 AM »
That's it! (Despite all the weight - it's still a tail-sitter!!)

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 03:23:53 PM »
Looks good.
Grumpy by name and nature

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 05:02:14 PM »
Very good.