Author Topic: Lightning T5  (Read 11921 times)

Roger

Lightning T5
« on: May 10, 2016, 07:11:22 PM »
Hi All
Now that I am back from my travels, and the new windows are all fitted (not by me of course), it is time to start a new project.  Hopefully this will be finished by the time I get the parts to finish the Mirage, so a quick project is needed.

I bought the Sword 1/72 Lightning T5 when it was released, and thought this should make a suitable model.

Roger

Re: Lightning T5
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 07:21:40 PM »
Reading another forum there was much discussion about why the finished model did not look quite right.  The problem seems to be with the nose area, and the forum discussion centred around the overall length of the model.  However it mainly involved comparing the Sword kit with the Airfi new tool Lightnings.
Comparing the kit fuselage with Richard Caruana's plans in the Modellers Datafile suggests the length is right, but that the nose is seriously undernourished.  Measuring the intake indicates that it is 1mm taller than it is wide, when it should be circular.  Also the kit windscreen and canopy were too wide for the fuselage.
Taking all of this into consideration, I decided to leave the length of the fuselage alone, but add a 1mm shim at the top and bottom of the intake, tapering back to nothing behind the cockpit area.  In addition a 0.5mm shim was added to the lower rear fuselage so that the two exhausts were f equal width.  The shims at the front were left proud of the fuselage and profiled to the new fuselage shape I wanted - these will be faired in with filler later in the build.
As always it s easier to show what I did with pictures, so here goes....

Roger

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 07:24:18 PM »
And finally this is the new profile.  It is not a lot different - the top fuselage is the modified one, but does give a better outline I think.  Also note the new velux window in the modelling room - I can now see what colour I am painting things, at least until the owls come out to play!

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 07:35:35 PM »
Nice One Roger.
Some serious modeling going on there.
Looking forward to more pics.
Andy.
Andy

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 01:51:45 PM »
Hi Roger,
Your attention to detail and accuracy is to be applauded. 1mm is not much, but I know that you want it to be as true to the real thing as it can be. I have the Sword F.1 and F.3 Lightnings in my stash. I'll wait to see how this one comes along. It will probably give me the inspiration to build them.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Roger

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 08:03:42 AM »
I think 2mm on a length of 200mm is not noticeable, however on a width of 15mm it definitely is, especially when it makes the nose intake oval!  It will be interesting to see how it all turns out anyway.
From reading the reviews the F1 and F3 don't suffer quite the same problems so you should be fine.  One of them would look good on our stand at Telford with my T5 don't you think?
I have now painted the interior bits, I will post a pic later.

R

Roger

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 06:56:57 PM »
OK, here are the interior bits painted and ready to go.  The kit includes colour photo etch for the instrument panel.  I improved this a little by glazing the rear panel with sellotape, and putting a dark wash over the front face to bring out the etched detail.  Difficult to see on the photos, but I liked the result.

Roger

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 06:59:37 PM »
This shows the intake compressor stage for the lower engine - difficult to see when the fuselage is closed!  The seats still need a bit more work, plenty of colour photo etch to go on.  They will be fitted later in the build to make making easier.

Roger

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 07:02:03 PM »
This is the resin jet pipe - nice detail I think.  Airbrushed matt black, then Alclad Steel, then a bit of masking and the front section airbrushed Alclad Stainless Steel.

Roger

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 07:07:29 PM »
And this is the other end, the intake centre body.  Alclad aluminium, then the radar cone painted in Xtracrylx Interior Green.  Maskol was patchily sponged on, then a topcoat of Xtracrylix Russian Tank Green was sprayed on.  When the maskol was rubbed off the effect was a bit stark, so a quick blow over with some more tank green was applied.  The tip was then tapped on a piece of card with silver paint on to get the steel tip of the radome.

Roger

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 07:09:58 PM »
And last for now, all of the above was fitted in the fuselage, that then was glued together.  The wings were glued together, and then taped to the fuselage to see what it would look like - progress I call that!

Cheers for now
R

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 08:14:30 PM »
Hi Roger,
Coming along nicely, well like Lightning actually! Sorry couldn't resist.
Like the idea of the instrument panel, using sellotape, a great tip.
Also getting the point of the cone painted. Great simple idea, I'll definitely try that one.
Keep up the good work,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 09:14:44 AM »
Excellent work Roger, I am enjoying seeing it coming together.
I shall have to call you John Travolta in the future - the speed is like "greased lightning"
MSea

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 07:58:33 AM »
Morning Roger and nice to see you on here.  I'm looking forward to picking up some useful hints and tips from you well written articles and excellently put together kits.  Keep 'em coming!

Roger

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 04:37:39 PM »
Hi Everyone
Some more progress has now been made on the Lightning. The main construction is now complete, next will be priming, correcting the defects and then painting.
Fit was quite good - apart from the filler to reshape the nose, I just used Mr Surfacer to fill any gaps, and as you can see not much was needed.  A few details were added - missing intakes and the brake chute retaining point above the exhausts.  I decided to do this one without missiles so fitted shaped blanks over the ends of the pylons. (I have several single seaters and a T4 in the stash so there will be plenty of opportunities for more aggressive loads).
I couldn't find a single photo of a Lightning parked with the flaps down, so put them in the up position.  (As an aside I was watching an official 1944 training film about the P51 on YouTube earlier - did you know they were supposed to be parked with the flaps down to stop people standing on them.  Just thought someone other than me would find that interesting, but reading it back I'm not so sure now!!).
Hope you are all busy modelling,
Cheers for now
R