Author Topic: One for the WW1 modellers  (Read 1638 times)

Roger

One for the WW1 modellers
« on: April 20, 2016, 07:56:07 PM »
Hi All
I rode down through France last week, and as I had just read Birdsong and it is the 100th anniversary this year we went via the Somme.  I thought I would share a photo with you to remind us all what it was all about.  The photo is of the Thiepval Memorial, which is currently having some work done to make it ready for the 100th anniversary of the start of the battle on July 1st. The new visitor centre should also be open by then, and looks well worth a visit.
Please take a moment to look at the photo, and remember that it records the names of the 72,000 dead British and white South African soldiers. Lets not forget the more than a million British, Commonwealth, French and Germans and people of other nations who died in this war to end all wars.

(Incidentally there is a temporary art installation in place at present to record the sacrifice made by black South Africans in the Somme battles, but it was not actually up on the day we were there.  However this was where I read that they were deliberately excluded from the memorial, which I was not aware of before).

Thanks for reading
R

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: One for the WW1 modellers
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 08:08:02 PM »
Thanks Roger.
I find many of the memorials very moving and yes, there are some very disturbing things that occurred, we do not often consider the other nations involved.
Dave
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 08:59:13 PM »
Thanks Roger,
Like Zak, echo his comments.
Although I find the conflicts and the men and machines all very interesting, all too often we don't take time to reflect on the human cost.
War has no winners, only losers in terms of loss of life, injury, emotional damage.
Hopefully mankind will learn from the sacrifice paid by those brave men and women of all nationalities and creeds in all wars, and try and resolve differences through negotiation and dialogue more in future.
A thought provoking memorial and topic.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 08:26:29 AM »
Couldn't have put it better myself.

On a similar note. For all it's faults, we've had peace in most of Europe since the end of WW2, probably due to being members of the EU. Food for thought.
Haddock.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 12:36:38 PM »
I agree with ALL that has been said above - history teaches us a lot, but some people never learn.
The most moving memorial I have see is the one at Gallipoli - it was a sad and atmospheric place even after all these years - the words on the memorial say it all:-

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives,
You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country therefore rest in peace,
There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours,
You the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears,
Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace,
After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

ATATURK 1934
MSea

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 04:13:39 PM »
On another similar note. I think all young people should visit the Holocaust exhibition ( Imperial war museum, London) as part of their education.
Haddock.