Author Topic: Mirage F1CR  (Read 4796 times)

Roger

Mirage F1CR
« on: March 24, 2016, 06:30:27 PM »
Hi Again,
on to the next project.  This time I am going to make a Mirage F1CR in 1/48 from the old ESCI kit which was kindly donated by Mr Snowden.  It looks to be a quick project as there are not too many parts, and I won't be going overboard on the detail.  First off to set the scene this is the kit that Mr S provided - note to anyone else thinking of suggesting a theme - it is much more likely to attract interest if you are providing the plastic!
PS -Bear with me if I haven't got the photo to work, we are going solo this time!

Roger

Re: Mirage F1CR
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 06:36:12 PM »
So looking at the plastic bits, some immediate weak areas were the cockpit and gun ports.  The gun ports are easily sorted with some dremelling followed by superglue/talc to fill. The other gun port is filled in as the CR is the tactical recon version and carries a line scan radar in place of one of the guns,

Roger

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 06:42:55 PM »
And finally for today, this is the solution to the cockpit.  At Telford I always admire the Neomega Resin on display on their stand, but they don't do anything for Albacores or Fireflies.  So this was my opportunity.  Once trimmed and assembled this is what you get- and a test fit indicates it will fit just fine.

That's it so far, few days off now and then we can look at some paint.
Bye for now
R

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 06:59:38 PM »
Great posting - well done.
Grumpy by name and nature

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 08:43:51 AM »
Nice work. Just made me realize I'm getting lazy, must post more.
Haddock.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 01:36:37 PM »
Hi Roger,
Great to see you have got to grips with posting, great description and photo's too.
Like Haddock, I've been a bit lazy too, I'll have to start posting my next build with equal enthusiasm to yours.
Bigkev 
I hope my next is always better

Roger

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 06:03:02 PM »
Thanks chaps for the feedback, pleased that it is of interest
R

Roger

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 01:06:01 PM »
Time for an update.  I was away last weekend staying with a friend who lives on the old Battle of Britain airfield of Hawkinge.  Finally though, due to the rain this morning I have had a chance to move the Mirage along a little.  First photo is of the paints I used to paint the cockpit - nearly all but not including the wash and the initial colours I used in the airbrush....

Roger

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 01:08:30 PM »
And this is the result of the painting.  The detail you see is 99% Neomega, I felt very little needed adding, just a little careful painting.
If the weather doesn't improve there may be more later.
Cheers
R :)

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 07:12:19 AM »
A bit of bad weather always gets the modelling going!

Roger

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 08:30:36 PM »
Indeed Zak, as you can see I have made some more progress and got the main assembly done.  Everything fitted nicely as you can see.
Now for a normal modeller this may not seem a lot of progress for a wet Saturday, but as those of you who know the speed I normally get these things done, we are fair motoring along! Might slow down a bit now the sun has put in an appearance though 8)
Hope you all had a good weekend, bye for now.
R

Roger

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 06:40:59 AM »
Time to put this project one side for a bit, I need to source some F1CR specific bits, so I thought I would park this and start something new.  After all this doesn't need finishing until Telford in November which is ages away!!
As you can see I have attached the windscreen.  The clear parts showed the age of the kit - a bit thick and not to clear.  However we have a few weapons in our locker to sort this.
After cleaning up and checking the fit I painted the edges of the clear part with black acrylic paint.  This would deal with any internal reflections from light entering the thick edges.  Next the windscreen was dunked in Klear and left to drain, first on a bit of paper to take away the excess, then resting on two cocktail sticks to stop it gluing itself to the worktop, and with a spray can top to keep the dust off.
Next the screen was glued in place.  For this I used GS Hypo glue, which is my goto choice for clear parts (thanks Big Kev for the recommendation). Finally some masking tape was added to the clear part and the screen blended to the fuselage with filler.
For filler I used my new range of colour matched filler, to ensure that none could be seen through the inside of the screen.  This is available in whatever colour you need - cockpit green on my Albacore, US Interior green on the C47 and black in this case.  Of course if you look at the photo you will see it is just talcum powder mixed with the appropriate acrylic paint.  Perfect colour match and ready to sand in an hour, whats not to like!
I have also enclosed a photo f the overall model so far.  I find it really nice that a 30+ year old kit needed so little filler.
Anyway, hope this build has been of some interest so far, the sequel "Mirage F1CR part II - Colouring In" will follow in due course
Cheers and happy modelling
R

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 07:34:34 AM »
Nice tip about the filler. I sometimes use superglue with baking powder but it has to be done on the area to be filled. provides a really strong fill.
On the down side, I once scratch built some 1/72 WW1 aircraft  using balsa fro the fuselage, after shaping and sanding, I filled it with sanding sealer and talcum powder, seemed to work really well.
After a couple of years it started to go mouldy!

Roger

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 08:41:56 AM »
Hi Zak,
Not had a problem with mould using this filler (so far!), but it is early days for me using it, and I'll certainly keep an eye out. I have a Monogram Mosquito with a new balsa radome that my Dad built in the 60s or early 70s - this was sealed with his usual cellulose dope/talcum powder sealer.  When I found it it was in a damp caravan with much mould evident elsewhere in the caravan - however the model still looks fine.  Anyone else had mould problems?
Thanks for the info Zak.

Cheers
R

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 08:45:16 AM »
That sounds exactly the recipe that I used.