Author Topic: Modelling & Marriage - A Tale of Two Woes  (Read 1574 times)

Pen-Pusher

Modelling & Marriage - A Tale of Two Woes
« on: March 14, 2016, 03:24:59 PM »
With my current obsession on all things 'Graf Spee' I am reminded in August 1970 to take my mind off the woeful misfortunes of marriage, I returned to my hobby of modelling plastic kits. One of these was a 1:350 scale Graf Spee battleship manufactured by a company called ITC Model Craft (photo#1) which was 'motorised'. Building and painting with extreme care the day came to find a suitable location to launch my new craft on her maiden voyage. At this time I lived outside Edinburgh but decided the best place would be the remote, Dunsapie Loch (Photo#2) a small stretch of water found halfway up the well known, redundant volcano that is Arthur's Seat. Things went well to begin with and the 'Spee' with a new battery, cruised serenely from the nearest reed-bed to the centre of the loch.... and stopped!! Moments later a drunken list (on the boat) became apparent and quite quickly she sank (almost completely) from sight - much to the amusement of the then, soon to be 'scrapped' Mrs Dewar! Should you happen to visit Edinburgh and have the chance to drive by Dunsapie Loch, spare a thought for that undeserving wreck, hidden somewhere under those black waters. This was my Graf Spee's final rest I salute her brief but gallant service...!

(Eat your heart out Montivideo....)

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: Modelling & Marriage - A Tale of Two Woes
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 04:15:46 PM »
A very sad tale.
Grumpy by name and nature