Author Topic: 1930 Russian workshop - MSea  (Read 33652 times)

msea

1930 Russian workshop - MSea
« on: May 21, 2015, 07:13:32 PM »
Well at last I have sorted out the photos so this is the workshop I am working on at the moment.
The base and sides are from MDF (that's medium density fibreboard to you lot )with acrylic windows. The sign above the door is built up with 4 layers of plastic to give a 3D effect on the hammer and sickle.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 1930 Russian workshop - MSea
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 07:52:51 PM »
Looking Good Comrade!

So far, your verk is satisfactory, Ve shall not be sending you hof to de Salt Mines................Yet!

Kommisar Mankini BigKevisky
I hope my next is always better

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 08:06:30 PM »
Ah, grand to see you online Martin and extra good to see the Russian Workshop project!  The last meeting was a bit fast and furious so I only got chance to quickly snap the models for the newsletter in between events so missed on the chance to have a good look at your forge.  I'm looking forward to seeing this come together.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 09:08:49 PM »
Glad to see you have joined the on line group with photos.
Keep forging ahead.
Grumpy by name and nature

msea

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 09:06:33 AM »
Just had an idea !!!
Should I change the colour of Kommisar Mankini  BigKevisky's  mankini from yellow to red and place a hammer and sickle badge on the front ?????
Or would that definitely get me a trip to the salt mines if I post it on line ?

msea

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 09:19:13 AM »
An image of the ROSTA window on the front wall. the printing plates made in Moscow and sent to different locations to be printed locally. They had political comments and most in the form of cartoons because a lot of the population ilitttera illitera ilaterate could not read.
The posters on the inner wall  I have tried to make some look like they had been up for a while, did it work I don't know but they look OK to me.

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 09:23:48 AM »
Yes, they certainly pass muster.  It's coming on a real treat and those little details make all the difference.  What scale are you working in?

msea

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 02:32:31 PM »
Hi Wizzel its in 1/35 scale.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 02:59:26 PM »
Its looking good Martin.

Kiteman

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 04:24:11 PM »
Looking good and good to see you online presenting sumat a bit different...a breath of fresh air. (not that the rest of us are stale) ;)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 06:42:38 PM »
Fresh Blood is always welcome.

If Msea carries out his idea of colour change and embellishments, it will his blood...............................never mind the Salt Mines.

Joking apart, great work Martin, a super idea, with very nice original touches. Keep it up, its great to see something different.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

msea

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 09:41:45 AM »
Well Plan A is to put supported girders along each wall and run a gantry crane between them holding a small tank in the air  - we will see how it goes.
The girder have detail 2mm nuts on the gusset plate and 3mm holding down nuts and bolts - Briggs and Powell in Beverley have a good range of small bits and bobs. Before anybody asks NO I DID [/b]NOT make a double ended stepped bolt and thread it 2mm for the bolts between the gusset plates - I leave that stuff for Tony - all I did was drill holes and push a small brass rod through and push the nuts over the ends.

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 11:11:28 AM »
Much as love gluing plastic kits together, there's something even more satisfying about diorama work and making summat out of nowt, this is great stuff Martin.  Are your girders scratchbuilt too?  If so, how did you do them, they're very effective either way and I continue to be inspired.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 12:23:53 PM »
Well Plan A is to put supported girders along each wall and run a gantry crane between them holding a small tank in the air  - we will see how it goes.
The girder have detail 2mm nuts on the gusset plate and 3mm holding down nuts and bolts - Briggs and Powell in Beverley have a good range of small bits and bobs. Before anybody asks NO I DID [/b]NOT make a double ended stepped bolt and thread it 2mm for the bolts between the gusset plates - I leave that stuff for Tony - all I did was drill holes and push a small brass rod through and push the nuts over the ends.
What/ who is/are they, I think I need to visit them

msea

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 07:01:04 PM »
Well Wizzel the girders are not scratch built but bought from Croppers in Brid see photo. I sound like a salesman "get your nuts and bolts from Briggs and Powell"and "get your girders from Croppers"
You ask who are they Zak its a small old fashioned hardware store in Beverley in the square and they see to stock nuts and bolts down to 2mm unlike most other places.