Author Topic: What am I building now?  (Read 63969 times)

Kiteman

Re: What am I building now?
« Reply #195 on: April 17, 2017, 06:57:01 PM »
So, glue dried, joints polished and portals drilled. All sitting ship shape with the fuselage (or is it a hull?) I have also drilled some 0.3mm holes to accomodate the rigging, when it comes. Time to try out a bit more of this airbrushing malarky.
Because this is a float plane does it mean that I am dipping my toe into "the dark side".

Kiteman

« Reply #196 on: April 28, 2017, 05:00:35 PM »
So, as Haddock would say, I`ve sloshed a bit of paint on the thing. I am beginning to enjoy this airbrush malarky, I just need to get used to different mixes and concoctions and cleaning and so on...... The "face" on the nose was supplied as decals but unfortunately the decals broke up completely when immersed in water so I have had to draw on my artistic talents and paint the face by hand. The engine, nacelle and supporting girders was a bit of a challenge to get to sit straight whilst the glue was drying but with lego bricks and bits of cardboard I managed to support it at the right attitude. So this little sub-assembly can now be finished and stuck onto the fuselage (or hull) or whatever it is called. See what you think....

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 28, 2017, 06:28:16 PM »
Looking good.
I am a bit of a sucker for sea/float planes myself.
Grumpy by name and nature

Kiteman

« Reply #198 on: May 01, 2017, 09:57:16 AM »
The problem with old models is that things sometimes just dont fit, like the engine nacelle on this model. This is what I enjoy about modelling...making it fit. If we all bought the latest greatest kits that fell together themselves we wouldn`t be modelers would we, we would be assemblers and painters. Now that is what I call skew.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 09:59:19 AM by Kiteman »

Kiteman

« Reply #199 on: May 12, 2017, 07:01:36 PM »
Right...got that sorted, rigging made from streched sprue, a bit of tidying up to do, must carry on with the rest of it!!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 07:03:18 PM by Kiteman »

bridlufc

« Reply #200 on: May 12, 2017, 09:46:42 PM »
Never had much luck with stretched sprue but there are other mediums out there that work just as well.  Rigging aircraft is one of the reasons why I shy away from building one that needs rigging at the moment, its all down to confidence as there are enough guides and tutorials out there to enable anyone to try.  Respect to those who have mastered the art.

Bridlufc

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 13, 2017, 08:56:01 AM »
That's nice, elegant work is that.  Hopefully you can do just as good a job on Goldie's engine!

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 13, 2017, 02:41:53 PM »
Looking good.

Kiteman

« Reply #203 on: May 15, 2017, 07:47:33 PM »
Thanks guys. I have rigged in the past using cotton thread, fishing line, streched sprue and have even produced my own turnbuckles. This time I will mostly be using streched sprue......I think.
So got the top wing on, and that was a bit of jiggery pockery with it resting on only 2 Points on the lower wing. So now for the floats, tailplane braces,propellor, starting handle, control lines and rigging and so on. The story up to now....

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 16, 2017, 07:13:19 AM »
Love it, I may have to have one of these.

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 16, 2017, 08:27:35 AM »
Nice, really nice!
Haddock.

Roger

« Reply #206 on: May 16, 2017, 08:53:08 PM »
I must admit it is moving mine up the to do list!

Roger

bridlufc

« Reply #207 on: May 16, 2017, 10:37:09 PM »
I'm impressed kiteman I wish I had the confidence to have a go at these biplane thingies with the rigging! One day maybe one day!

Bridlufc

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 17, 2017, 06:24:50 AM »
Beautifully put together Kiteman,
It just looks right. Its delicate and yet very elegant.
Most impressed young man!
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Kiteman

« Reply #209 on: May 17, 2017, 03:44:29 PM »
Thank you very much for your kind comments.