Author Topic: Bigkev's W.I.P No.6 Revell BAC/Aerospatiale Concorde 1/144th British Airways  (Read 32154 times)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Guys,

Well straight into the next project for the website.

This is the Revell Concorde in 1/144th. I purchased this kit after seeing Andy's built Airfix Concorde in 1/72nd, and thought this would fit my build size. Andy's Concorde was amazing but a bit too large to transport easily, I remember the 'Coffin' containing the said Concorde sitting on our laps on the way to Huddersfield a few years ago!!

The kit comes in a large box containing three sprues, two in white one in clear. Usual Revell style instructions, and a reasonable sized but well printed decal sheet containing both Air France and British Airways schemes.

The mouldings are quite good, though not quite up to todays standard, with some flash being present, but not too much to worry about, the clear parts suffer from distortion, so I may resort to using a replacement set of decals containing windows and the later style markings seen of the Concorde before its retirement.

I have included some pictures of the parts, box art, instructions and decals before I get started.

Bigkev

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 06:42:13 AM by Bigkev »
I hope my next is always better

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Looking forward to seeing your build.
Grumpy by name and nature

Kiteman

They all start like this, but usually dont end up like your models!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Kiteman,

Very kind words, but I only do what you do. Your work is easily as good as mine,

Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi All,

Well underway now. The first thing I did was do a rough dry fit to see how the project would be size wise and any potential fit issues.

I could see that the wing parts were not too good on mating edges and after a little tidying up I could see that the leading edges needed more support that those provided in the kit. So I added small tabs to aid location and add strength to this area.
The undercarriage bays are just open blank spaces so I decided to box them in using plasticard, I will later on add some piping and structural elements to improve the look. It will not be a 100% accurate depictation of the bays, but something that's looks representative, but much better than an empty void..
The trailing edges also were in need of tabs as they sat incorrectly with a gap between the surfaces.
Finally the fuselage has some sink marks and ejector pin marks marring the fuselage surface, these are shown marked in pencil ready to be dealt with later. 

Hope the pictures convey what I have described.

Bigkev

Kiteman

This was a beautiful aircraft and a I am really looking forward to seeing this one come on.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi All,

After a short break in proceedings I'm back underway again.

I have fully boxed in the undercarriage bays, and added the main gear doors in a closed position.
The doors are normally closed at all times except for maintenance or during the retraction and deployment.

The get the doors to fit flush required some trimming, and fettling to get best possible fit. I used thick superglue together with 'Rocket Blaster' activator, and 'Rocket' powder (micro glass particles which help make a strong joint).

Also the sink marks on the fuselage have been dealt with for now, but will be checked during build to make sure they have been eradicated.

Please find pictures attached of progress as detailed above.

Bigkev

Kiteman

I was happy to have discovered "green stuff" through you, and now you come with more magic potions that I have never heard of!!!!!

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
Those spray silhouettes in the background of the pictures must be 1/72 scale?  If so, crikey, how big was Concorde??  I've been on the one in the Tecknik Museum in Speyer, Germany but didn't appreciate how big it actually was.  I really like to wonderfully smooth, glossy finish you get on these things but there's far too much science involved for me to try just yet.   

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Wizzel,

Thanks for the kind words about finish. I'm pretty sure you would be able to do the same, with a little practice and perseverance.
I still 'go off' sometimes, so it isn't all plain sailing.

As to Concorde's size, the silhouettes are of a 1/72 Bristol Fighter, the Concorde kit is to 1/144th, so to get a comparison you have to imagine the silhouettes half the size shown.

A PRETTY big bird none the less.

Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi all,
A little bit further with this. I have weighted the fuselage using plasticine and some .177 air rifle pellets. I used the old balancing trick of where the main undercarriage sits and adding weight until it tips to the nose, then the same amount again to make sure! works every time for me.
Also I have 'tabbed' the port side of the fuselage to aid alignment, using small scraps of plasticard and also sanded the trailing edge of the fin/rudder as it was a little too thick.

I then glued the fuselage halves together using Revell Contacta and Tamiya thin liquid glue. The fuselage has been taped using Tamiya tape in small strips and 'Berna clamps' to get best join possible. Some sanding/filling will be necessary, but this helps it to be reduced to a minimum.

Pictures of work described.
Bigkev 

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
I'm learning a lot from those pictures, so the next thing then is to get some plasticard - probably at Huddersfield 0 as I can see that is so useful, not just for scratch-building but helping the general construction of a kit.  I'll be bugging you all for advice at the show then.  God work Kevin.   

zak

• View Profile
Do you have shares in Tamiya masking tape then?

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ah So Grasshopper!

Cyril managed to twist my arm a few years ago with an offer of cheap refills of Tamiya Tape and I took him up on that.
Still have some 10mm and 6mm unopened to use. Must try to build more kits to use it up!!
Until then I'll stick with it.
Bigkev

zak

• View Profile
I got a load from Cyril as well, still ploughing through it.