Author Topic: Bigkev's W.I.P No.6 Revell BAC/Aerospatiale Concorde 1/144th British Airways  (Read 32152 times)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Zak,
I guess we both got carried away, didn't we?
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi All,
Well the fuselage is drying nicely, and I will post after I have given it a first rub down.
In the meantime I have decided that rather than us the nose pitot supplied, I will replace it with a metal dress making pin.
To do so I have filled the nose cone with Milliput, for a solid attachment. Once set the nose will be drilled to accept the pin, and a filler of Superglue and talcum powder used to fair it in when glued in place.
Pictures attached to show.
Bigkev

[attachment deleted by admin]

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
I'm a newcomer to all this Tamiya masking tape but I do like it.  Got my first roll at our show in 2013 and still on it - well, just look at how quick I build (though I HAVE been at the bench lately - watch this space)!!!  Revell brought their own version out recently which I think Kiteman has got.  Wonder how it compares???

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Hi All,
Well the fuselage is drying nicely, and I will post after I have given it a first rub down.
In the meantime I have decided that rather than us the nose pitot supplied, I will replace it with a metal dress making pin.
To do so I have filled the nose cone with Milliput, for a solid attachment. Once set the nose will be drilled to accept the pin, and a filler of Superglue and talcum powder used to fair it in when glued in place.
Pictures attached to show.
Bigkev

I see you prefer talc with your superglue whereas I prefer baking soda - we must compare them at some stage.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I like it because it smells nice!

As opposed to some of my other modelling solvents and paints.........................

I find it gives a really good smooth glass like finish, and is hard enough to withstand my handling!

Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi, All,

Decided to get some replacement new decals containing window and door outlines from Draw decals, the same firm who did the 'Kulula Airlines' ones, so I'm sure they will be spot on.

Ordered them from America yesterday, so hopefully they will be here as painting of airframe comes close.
Hope to have this ready for Huddersfield.

Bigkev 

zak

• View Profile
I am having visitors from the USA arriving this week.
Looks good Kevin, hope to see it at Huddersfield.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Zak,
On schedule so far..........................
Here in my latest post you can see the fuselage has had Mr Surfacer 500 applied to fuselage and tail seams.
Not all this is required but it gives an indication of problems in the join and help make them uniformly corrected.
Also can be seen 'Green Stuff' applied to sink marks present at this stage. Note that I have not used 'White Stuff' at this stage as it is too grainy in texture, and also would be harder to see after rubbing down and filling any area's.
Bigkev

Wizzel

• View Profile
I quite get on with that Mister Surfacer.  I got a pot of the middle thickness (500?) at our show in 2013 - along with me Tamiya masking tape - and plan on picking a pot of the thicker one up at Huddersfield.  I have enough models now so it's time to stock up on some useful accessories to help the construction process I think.  That you lot use all this stuff too is recommendation enough.  Still doing a lot of trial and error but pleased to say the error factor is decreasing each time.

Kiteman

I am also amazed at the amount of potions and pills that get used by you guys. Before I got active on this sight I only had glue and paint....oh and a sanding stick. Like Wizzel I am going to have to invest in some of the magic stuff to improve my modelling I think.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi All,

Just wanted to share with you the progress with rubbing down. As you can see the Mr Surfacer 500 has been rubbed down using various fine grades of Wet'n'Dry used wet with soap as a lubricant.
Finally finished with some 8000 grade micro mesh cloth again used wet to polish surface. You can see where the area's that needed attention were, and where the 'green stuff' has filled the sink marks.

Nose cone and wings attachment next..........................

Bigkev 

zak

• View Profile
The delights of sanding eh?
Worth it with the exceptional finish you get though.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Cheers Zak!

Hope to have it looking like a Concorde by end of next week!

Bigkev

Wizzel

• View Profile
Ah, there's another tip Kevin - using soap with the wet and dry!

I've been brave enough to start doing this filling and rubbing malarkey and it's worth the time and effort.  I also have them sanding sticks I got from Little Cars at .... you've guessed it, our show in 2013.  I like those to get the polish on things such as the little round portholes in the fuselage.  Wing roots is where I struggle though at the minute - HOW do you get into that tiny gap???

Haddock

• View Profile
Try wrapping some of that sanding/polishing cloth I gave you round a cocktail stick or something similar, you can make "files" by super-gluing wet-n-dry to cocktail sticks too.
Haddock.