Author Topic: Vidalwagen  (Read 2707 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Vidalwagen
« on: October 19, 2020, 04:35:21 PM »
This is the Special Armour (CMK again) kit of the V2 Vidalwagen or road transporter used to carry the rockets from railheads or storage to near the launch site where they were transferred onto Meillerwagen (see V2 launch vehicle build). It's a kit of few parts but won't be an easy build as there are small brass parts to bend and fit. Haddocks patience and skill would come in handy here. I got the kit off Zak who had started the frame as reference for his larger scale build of the V2 launch site.

Haddock

• View Profile
Re: Vidalwagen
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 04:57:55 PM »
This is the Special Armour (CMK again) kit of the V2 Vidalwagen or road transporter used to carry the rockets from railheads or storage to near the launch site where they were transferred onto Meillerwagen (see V2 launch vehicle build). It's a kit of few parts but won't be an easy build as there are small brass parts to bend and fit. Haddocks patience and skill would come in handy here. I got the kit off Zak who had started the frame as reference for his larger scale build of the V2 launch site.
Show it  who's boss!!

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 05:36:04 PM »
Quick work.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 08:38:29 PM »
Quick work.

I'm sure Chris must have missed out two cups of tea today to have got this far...
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 04:17:46 PM »
Looks intricate.
Chris

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 06:14:58 PM »
Looks intricate.

I think Chris has grown extra hands and fingers during lockdown.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Bob C

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 06:15:36 PM »
Coming along nicely.
Bob c

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 02:41:43 PM »
The main coupling arm is made up of four thin arms, the one with the tow loop has to be cut by 3mm (?) and 5 very small etch brass brackets. I've highlighted the bottom of each so I know which way they should sit, even with a magnifying headset they are still small. I've spent 2 days on and off trying to get this together. Even with a jig it keeps falling apart. How do you do it Haddock? If I was MSea this would be in the bin by now no doubt. I will get there eventually!!!
PS Kev I don't do tea. It was lots of coffee but unfortunately we've run out of valium!!!

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 04:59:41 PM »
The main coupling arm is made up of four thin arms, the one with the tow loop has to be cut by 3mm (?) and 5 very small etch brass brackets. I've highlighted the bottom of each so I know which way they should sit, even with a magnifying headset they are still small. I've spent 2 days on and off trying to get this together. Even with a jig it keeps falling apart. How do you do it Haddock? If I was MSea this would be in the bin by now no doubt. I will get there eventually!!!
PS Kev I don't do tea. It was lots of coffee but unfortunately we've run out of valium!!!
Patience grasshopper.
Haddock.

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 03:09:01 PM »
A touch of brass...
Andy.
Andy

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 04:05:42 PM »
Several attempts and much cursing has gotten me to the stage seen below. The plastic kept parting whether I used Contacta or Superglue but I finally managed to get into Scarborough and buy some EMA Plastic Weld, which appears to be holding!! There is no help in the plans with the spacing of the brass so after marking the beam it was moved into place and initially held with Klear before superglue was applied. Not up to Haddock's standard but I'm slowly getting on top of it. The pintle for the front axle is way to big for the holes it has to go through so that was trimmed and then 'force fitted'. One of the main problems with this kit is they've over engineered it, such as you have to fit four really small triangular brackets to the main frame to then fit the suspension springs. These brackets could have been moulded in place as any misalignment will throw the suspension out. Ah the joys of modelling!!!

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 04:15:37 PM »
I find a  bit of "naughty nautical language" always makes it easier - hohohho
MSea

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 04:41:16 PM »
Well done!!

Red Lancer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 06:32:56 PM »
I've just finished reading the novel V2 by Robert Harris. I don't think
it is his best work but I found it quite informative about the V2.
Good luck, Chris!

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 03:24:36 PM »
Fine work Chris.
Chris