Author Topic: BV P.178 Pulk Zerstorer  (Read 3647 times)

cph64

• View Profile
BV P.178 Pulk Zerstorer
« on: October 08, 2020, 05:40:20 PM »
Back on safe ground whilst waiting for the Light Aircraft Grey for the Hunter to arrive.
This is the 6th of a series of 7, so far, of versions of the Blohm und Voss BV P.178 assymetric dive bomber, the first of which, being the dive bomber, was released by Bronco in 2015. This was followed by the LTF5b torpedo version. the Tank Hunter, with underwing panzerfausts, the Nachtjager, bomber with BT700 guided missile, the Pulk Zerstorer and lastly the Recce version. The real design never left the drawing board as it's unusal design and a lack of materials meant that the RLM didn't pursue it further.
The kit is cleanly moulded in grey plastic and the 50mm cannon has been produced using the slide mould technique. The one negative to this series of kits is that the main decal sheet is generic for all versions and for this particular version it has a decal of the Infantry Assault Badge which was used on the Hs 129 against Russian tanks, so why put it on an aircraft to be used against American bomber formations?
Work has been started on the cockpit with painting and detailing carried out. I'm thinking of seeing if the ejector seat left over from the Hunter will fit as it will look better than the kit offering.

chriswil42

• View Profile
Re: BV P.178 Pulk Zerstorer
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 01:12:33 PM »
Looks interesting. I wonder how it flew? I presume they did Chris?
Chris

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 01:36:42 PM »
Looks interesting. I wonder how it flew? I presume they did Chris?
In ever decreasing circles - sorry couldn't resist.
Grumpy by name and nature

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 05:20:46 PM »
Sadly not Chris, the technology was there but it came too late in the war. Besides the main engine it was also to have had two rocket boosters in the tail either for more power on take off or when required in combat.
As this kit can be a tail-sitter it comes with a clear plastic stand for under the tail. To try and alleviate this I've put steel BBs in the front of the Jumo 004B and behind the cockpit along with Blue Tack, with more of the latter in the cockpit nose and leading edges of the wings. So here's hoping!! The great thing about this kit is that it can be built modular, as would have been the case in real life so I can leave the Jumo off until painting is finished as it's going to be a different colour to ease masking.

Red Lancer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 05:49:22 PM »
Looks interesting! BV certainly came up with different design

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 05:36:57 PM »
I agree,
Didn't Revell do a BV.194? in 1/72 a few years ago.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 03:11:32 PM »
Yes you're right Kev. I have one to build in my stash and one that Zak kindly gave me.
Main components together and painting started. Undersides are RLM 78 with the uppers RLM 81 and 82, all Lifecolor, with mottling the same. The nose and engine are Tamiya Black Green.

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 06:00:46 PM »
Strange aircraft.  Looking good.
Andy.
Andy

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 05:36:19 PM »
A change of mind saw the nose repainted black after which the undercarriage and doors were fixed in place along with the front of the engine. Despite putting weight in the places previously mentioned the plane was still a tail-sitter so more was added where possible behind the cockpit, wing tabs made this somewhat difficult, and also in the front of the engine and in the nosewheel bay, Unfortunately it didn't cure it so the clear plastic stand came in handy. The only things left to add besides the cockpit glazing are the cannon, seat, control column, DF loop and underbody aerial. I'm going to source an upper aerial so I don't have use thread. Then it will be time for decalling and weathering.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2020, 01:34:04 PM »
Looking good.
Chris

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 06:46:17 PM »
Hi Chris,
Coming along nicely.
Perhaps posing your model on a base with some barrels/cases under the tail to support it.
A lot of real aircraft had problems with balance, especially when unloaded/unfuelled.
As its Luft '46, who could argue?
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 09:10:00 AM »
Hi Chris,
Coming along nicely.
Perhaps posing your model on a base with some barrels/cases under the tail to support it.
A lot of real aircraft had problems with balance, especially when unloaded/unfuelled.
As its Luft '46, who could argue?
Bigkev
I never really like the clear plastic rod some people use on the tail somtimes.
Grumpy by name and nature

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2020, 08:23:52 PM »
I don;t worry too much about packing the nose and engines on tricycle undercart aricraft as I tend to put my finished models on a base so I get around the tail sitting problem by drilling and gluing an piece of thin wire or a bit of a steel sewing pin into the nosewheel and then have a corresponding hole in the base.  It not only holds the nose down but also keeps the model steady on the base.   

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 06:59:36 PM »
A change of mind saw the nose repainted black after which the undercarriage and doors were fixed in place along with the front of the engine. Despite putting weight in the places previously mentioned the plane was still a tail-sitter so more was added where possible behind the cockpit, wing tabs made this somewhat difficult, and also in the front of the engine and in the nosewheel bay, Unfortunately it didn't cure it so the clear plastic stand came in handy. The only things left to add besides the cockpit glazing are the cannon, seat, control column, DF loop and underbody aerial. I'm going to source an upper aerial so I don't have use thread. Then it will be time for decalling and weathering.
Put a pin in the nose wheel or stick it down to the base.
Looking good.
Andy.
Andy

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 04:10:09 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone, I'm still undecided which way to go. Either pin it or barrels under the tail a la Me 323.
Lots of stencils to apply so it was slow going and fortunately(?) the the larger wing walk area one broke which made it easier to apply. The hakenkreuz, yellow K and Stab markings are from the spares box. Once completed and weathered all the little bits like the pitot tube, DF loop and an aerial, from spare, were fitted as was the pilot's seat, ex Hawker Hunter, and scratchbuilt Revi sight and detail on the aft combing.
The last two photos show the real aircraft from SG10 that my aircraft was inspired by, those and a profile of an Me 262A-1a. Painted using Life Color, Humbrol, and Vallejo paints with Flory and Nuln Oil Washes
A great kit with only two flaws. Some of the smaller parts are joined to the sprue tree in silly places, such as the DF loop, joined on the loop, and it is a TAIL SITTER!!!!!