Author Topic: Hawker Hunter FGA.9  (Read 3510 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Re: Hawker Hunter FGA.9
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2020, 12:57:36 PM »
Decals applied using Set and Sol to help bed them in as they're a bit thick in some instances and a final coat of Klear to seal them in. The underwing serials come as one piece so some careful cutting is required. One thing I've noticed with Revell instructions when it comes to decalling is that the panel lines on the plans don't always match up to the kit. I suppose this is due to using the moulds for various Marks. I had this difficulty with their Eurofighter. The small aerials and pitot tube were then fitted and painted with the cockpit glazing being unmasked and tidied up at the same time. Last thing to be added and touched up were the SNEB pods.
My first build of a Hunter was the old Airfix kit which came in black plastic with RAF and Swiss markings, this kit is a vast improvement on it but care is needed when building. Check the fittings for the version you're building. Sections 8 and 10 of the plans tell you to drill holes in the upper wing for fittings, my version didn't have these as I found out later in the build, so I had to fill and sand!! Also don't fit the outer wing pylons until after you've positioned the roundels or you'll have to cut these later. Ask me how I know. There's also an aerial shown on the spine which isn't on my version and the cannon muzzles shown in section 39 were only fitted to Swiss machines, another throw back to an earlier Mark release of the kit.
Finished as XJ642 from RAF Raynham I based my model on a photo of her when on the apron at RAF Abingdon, June 1968, with the 230 gallon ferry tanks on the inner pylons and SNEB pods on the outer.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 01:34:25 PM »
Nice job.
Grumpy by name and nature

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 02:37:24 PM »
looking good
MSea

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2020, 03:22:56 PM »
Looks very nice Chris.
Chris

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2020, 05:17:51 PM »
Hi Chris,
A nice looking Hunter.
A good job, well done.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Red Lancer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2020, 02:54:14 PM »
Looks good!

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2020, 04:10:54 PM »
Nice clean model, well done.
Haddock.

kiwichappers

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2020, 09:17:50 AM »
Nice work Chris. These little Revell Hunters are real gems.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2020, 03:24:43 PM »
Thanks everyone.

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2020, 05:40:08 PM »
Decals applied using Set and Sol to help bed them in as they're a bit thick in some instances and a final coat of Klear to seal them in. The underwing serials come as one piece so some careful cutting is required. One thing I've noticed with Revell instructions when it comes to decalling is that the panel lines on the plans don't always match up to the kit. I suppose this is due to using the moulds for various Marks. I had this difficulty with their Eurofighter. The small aerials and pitot tube were then fitted and painted with the cockpit glazing being unmasked and tidied up at the same time. Last thing to be added and touched up were the SNEB pods.
My first build of a Hunter was the old Airfix kit which came in black plastic with RAF and Swiss markings, this kit is a vast improvement on it but care is needed when building. Check the fittings for the version you're building. Sections 8 and 10 of the plans tell you to drill holes in the upper wing for fittings, my version didn't have these as I found out later in the build, so I had to fill and sand!! Also don't fit the outer wing pylons until after you've positioned the roundels or you'll have to cut these later. Ask me how I know. There's also an aerial shown on the spine which isn't on my version and the cannon muzzles shown in section 39 were only fitted to Swiss machines, another throw back to an earlier Mark release of the kit.
Finished as XJ642 from RAF Raynham I based my model on a photo of her when on the apron at RAF Abingdon, June 1968, with the 230 gallon ferry tanks on the inner pylons and SNEB pods on the outer.
Very Nice. Well done.
Andy.
Andy