Author Topic: EMW A9  (Read 1502 times)

cph64

• View Profile
EMW A9
« on: September 08, 2020, 05:20:24 PM »
Whilst waiting for the paintwork on the Angel Interceptor to cure I made a start on the EMW A9. In late 1944 work was resumed on a two stage rocket with a view to attacking the continental USA. The first stage, the A10, was to be the booster to get the A9 into an orbital position. As the Germans knew they didn't have the technology to accurately hit targets 5000km away it was decided that the A9 would be piloted and guided on the final part of the mission by radio beacons on U-boots positioned across the Atlantic and automatic weather stations in Greenland and Labrador. On entering the final glide in to the target the pilot would eject and hopefully be picked up.
This is the Special Hobby 1/72 kit, of 49 parts, moulded in softish grey plastic, not quite Airfix figures quality but a sharp scalpel is recommended when removing flash etc. Two vacform canopies and an adequate decal (sticker) sheet. Being a Special Hobby kit I knew some clean up would be required and spent over an hour removing flash and tidying up seams.

Red Lancer

• View Profile
Re: EMW A9
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 06:31:35 PM »
Looks interesting

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 02:32:25 PM »
This ones for the FLAT EARTH society...
Andy.
Andy

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 05:10:22 PM »
The pilot's seat turned out to be too wide when test fitted and wouldn't allow the two sides to meet up so I sourced one from the spares box which I could file down to size and detail. Small pieces of plastic were placed along one side of the vehicle body to help in alignment. The strakes on the kit took a lot of TLC to get them something like, lots of filling and sanding. There are no locating pins to guide you so it's out with the superglue gel and make sure you get them where you think they should be!!!

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 04:24:33 PM »
Lots o f masking and touching up done over the past few days. I wanted it to look like various sections came from different suppliers which explains the variation in finishes. The main paintwork is RLM 84 v.3 Grunblau (Tamiya XF-21 Sky) with the nose section and cockpit overlaid with RLM 81 v.3 Braunviolett (Vallejo 70.887). The mid section and strakes have areas of RLM 78 Hellblau (Tamiya XF-23 Light Blue) and finally the motor section has RLM 75 Grauviolett (Humbrol 246). There's still a little bit of touching up to do plus the motor and vanes and some small parts to fit before varnishing and decalling.
Whilst the above was drying I built the Abschussplattform and as the Special Hobby instructions aren't that clear I built the Revell/CMK one at the same time to cross-reference. The Special Hobby kit is sparser and chunkier and calls for some items to be fitted which aren't on the Revell one, nor can I find them on photos so I've left them off. The handles for raising/lowering the legs will be added after I've weathered. Both are painted in RLM 79 Sandgelb (Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow).

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 05:32:22 PM »
That looks like the launch platform for a V2 as well.
Grumpy by name and nature

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 03:59:25 PM »
Looking good Chris.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 03:45:24 PM »
They are supposedly the same platform but Special Hobby's is simpler and chunkier. I've used the insert plate from the Revell kit to show the stand in the firing configuration.

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 06:15:52 PM »
Right! Who's first for a ride in this one.....
Looking good.
Andy.
Andy

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 02:47:47 PM »
Decaled and weathered just waiting on EMW to get the A10 stage working, lol!!!. The decals went on well but care had to be taken as they would curl and wrinkle if given chance. The red warning lines are supplied as two strips which you have to cut to size, with care, and even then there isn't enough to produce all the lines required so I emphasised the ones around the cockpit. As I now have the opportunity to obtain a Vidalwagen I will use that for transportation instead of having to modify a Meillerwagen.