Author Topic: Gloster E28/39  (Read 2531 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Re: Gloster E28/39
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2020, 06:05:23 PM »
During the build I had to try to recreate the shape of the intake as in the kit it was just two parts of the cockpit tub which left a gap, This was firstly filled with Evergreen strip then Perfect Plastic Putty was built up to try and get the correct shape, It's not perfect but I'm happy with it. The underside was painted with acrylic Humbrol 24 Trainer Yellow and once this had cured it was masked ready for the upper surfaces to be painted. This was done free hand and with a hairy stick (my airbrushes went on furlough!!!) using Humbrol 29 Dark Earth, and 30 Dark Green. As seen in the photo the box illustration doesn't match the paintwork on the original, which I've tried to match. A point to watch out for is that there were two air-frames built and the paintwork isn't the same for both a/c. Close but no cigar!!! Another thing that became apparent is that the decals are for later markings when the Dark Brown was over-painted Dark Grey, so the Prototype marking wasn't used if doing it in Brown/Green. Also the kit doesn't supply the correct canopy for later nor the small auxiliary fins added near the tips of the ailerons. All these faults are corrected in the Clear Prop kit. The more I look at the kit the box has it right when it says 'Frog painting guide', the a/c looks like a frog!! Upon removing the masking it became clear that a small amount of touch-up work will be necessary before varnishing and decalling.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2020, 03:29:42 PM »
Looks good though Chris.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2020, 04:23:37 PM »
After my senior moment when I called the paint Dark Brown instead of Dark Earth it was onto decalling. I should have known better with 50 year old decals. They shattered in places and as I didn't have the right era replacements for some I had to repair as best possible and coated all the others to be used with a layer of Klear. The kit fuselage roundel is too small so I sourced that from the spares box, again an old one, from the Frog Kittyhawk!! Despite coating these and all the others needed lashings of Micro Set and Sol to get them to settle down with some flaking still occurring. The ID numbers are too big but they're the only game in town and there's no markings for the nose etc. Also missing is the pitot tube, which again came from the spares box.
With this model you can't make 'a silk purse from a sows ear' but you can make a very good onion sack. In it's time it would have been a brilliant kit but now it's showing it's age, like us all, and has been surpassed by better releases. Strangely enough though I am satisfied with what I've achieved with it, so although it won't make the front of the display cabinet it won't go to the shelf of shame!!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2020, 08:06:21 PM »
Great work Chris,
I'm sure you will have made this 'Oldie' look the best for the here and now.
Credit to you sir.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2020, 12:45:50 PM »
It looks very good Chris.
Chris