Author Topic: Flak Panther Ausf D  (Read 2858 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Flak Panther Ausf D
« on: July 20, 2020, 02:31:11 PM »
Back to the Dark Side!! Whilst going through the latest Hannants email I saw that Dragon are releasing a kit, in 1/35 scale, of the Flak Panther Ausf D as made by s.Pz.Jg.Abt 653 . Knowing I had a 1/72 scale Flak vierling already built and a Panther kit in my stash I decided that it would make a interesting addition to go with my Luft46 collection.
The Panther is the Revell 1996 release of the Ausf D/A but I can't find the instructions to tell me who made the Flak, it could be Esci, Hasegawa etc. who knows? The primer is drying on the Panther as I write this so building will commence shortly.

chriswil42

• View Profile
Re: Flak Panther Ausf D
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 03:18:43 PM »
Should be an interesting model.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 04:45:06 PM »
The instructions show holes in the rear plate for the position of fittings, not so the model piece. There are indentations on the reverse, luckily, so it was out with the drill. The hull was top test fitted after gluing the machine gun and hatch covers into place which revealed that it would be 'see-through' into the body. Not having enough etched grating I'll just blank everything off after spraying the body.
The last photo shows the many ejector pin marks in on the hull sides in the process of being tidied up.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 04:11:31 PM »
I remembered that Wizzle had kindly given me some fine netting and used two layers of this to create the  mesh in the intakes. Also visible are the plugs made to fill the gaps in the turret ring which need to be finished once the superglue has set fully.
As the interior will be partly visible I made and fitted two bulkheads, the interior was then painted with IJN Brown which I use as the primer for German vehicles with it being a close match. This was then over-painted with Insignia White, allowing primer shading to show through. The interior will be 'busied up' and weathered next before fitting the hull top which needs two sections of channel fitted across the turret ring for the Flakvierling. As seen in the 2nd photo the running gear has also been fitted.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 11:38:52 AM »
I like this one Chris.  I've just dug out some of my 1/72 scale armour and DCOS is away next week so I shall have some uninterrupted time to myself!!!  I'm working on the Italeri Jadgpanther which I want hatched open on so will also be doing some interior work.  I like the idea of the mesh on the inside of the vents, I wonder if I have any left!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 07:23:38 PM »
Hi Chris,
Nice progress so far.
Looks like it will be pretty unique when complete.
Watching with interest.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 06:25:54 PM »
The Vallejo and Tamiya paints have reacted with each other but it gives a useful texture to work with inside. Various shell holders and lockers have been sourced from spares and the fire extinguishers made from sprue trees. Weathering to follow then it will be on with the tracks.

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 06:51:59 PM »
Will we see this in a Diorama??
Nice one,
Andy.
Andy

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 06:57:33 AM »
A bit large for you?
Grumpy by name and nature

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 10:11:10 AM »
I'm still working in 1/72 scale and if does make it to a diorama it will be one of my 'stock' ones, but it is planned to feature it with something else in the future!!

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 03:29:58 PM »
The first two photos are the completed hull with weathering inside. The last two are the completed model with figures from the spares box alongside a Bv P.211/02 at dispersal. Humbrol, Tamiya and Vallejo paints used throughout followed by Flory Grime wash, Revell Mud Green weathering powder and Citadel Seraphim Sepia for the rust.
An interesting project and the worst part of the build were the tracks as they are sectioned and need care to make sure they are aligned properly, but all in all I'd recommend the Revell Panther Ausf D/A kit.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 04:24:24 PM »
Another good model Chris. You're cat hing up with Zak.
Chris

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 05:36:12 PM »
Another good model Chris. You're cat hing up with Zak.
Is that catching - I hope not.
Another model for the collection.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 07:24:00 PM »
Hi Chris,
Different subject bound to attract attention on the model tables.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2020, 12:35:31 PM »
Yes Kev it will probably make an appearance if we ever get back to 'live'  shows. Thanks for the comments everyone.