Author Topic: Focke Wulf Ta 154  (Read 4801 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Focke Wulf Ta 154
« on: June 24, 2020, 03:20:27 PM »
Whilst waiting for Me 262 to set it was time to start researching the next project. This is the old PM Model kit of the Ta 154 Moskito, the proposed equivalent of the D.H. Mosquito. I also have this kit, along with the Fw 190A-8, in the Airfix Mistel boxing. I knew when i got this kit that the interior was sparse, to say the least, so ordered the Airwaves etch set, but even this asks  for some parts to be made from plastic card.
The markings are for TQ+XE, the much photographed Ta 154A-0, but I'm going to convert it into a late war A-4 ground attack a/c fitted with wing mounted FuG 218 radar instead of the nose mounted FuG 220 array, using Airframe Detail No.6 by Richard Franks as a source of detail. 

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: Focke Wulf Ta 154
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 05:31:31 PM »
This should keep you busy.
Grumpy by name and nature

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 03:24:44 PM »
Looks like there is plenty to do there Chris. Another interesting model.
Chris

Red Lancer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 07:02:24 PM »
 Chris, did this ever get airborne, or is it Luft 46?
Should keep you out of mischief!

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 12:15:35 PM »
Yes this one did fly, I must be slipping up, lol!!! V 1-10 & 14, 22 &23 flew, 11-13 static tests, 16-19 not completed, 15,20,21 proof of concept a/c. A-0 series 7 flew, 21 fate unknown or if built.  A-1 series 7 flew & 2 converted to A-4, A-2 single seat day fighter series only 6 which flew and lastly A-4 series 5 converted from A-1s but unknown if completed leaving W/Nr.320017 which first flew on 1st August 1944, ultimate fate unknown and the one I'll be modelling.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 03:47:12 PM »
The first photo shows the hole drilled in the spine to the right of the cockpit which is the correct location for the 'Morane' mast of the Fug 16ZY equipment, with the kit hole to the left filled. Also drilled are the holes for the FuG 218 antennae, the location of the forward holes was easy enough to work out it was the rear ones that took some time. The slots for the flaps not fitted to the A4 have been filled in and from the photo the correct shape of the wingtips can be seen so these have to be altered and then angled upwards slightly.
The 2nd photo shows the amount of plastic to be removed from the front of the cockpit prior to the etched brass being fitted and also shows how the PM moulding is misaligned.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 05:36:42 PM »
A bit of fettling required there.
Grumpy by name and nature

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 06:08:42 PM »
Big hammer would fix it !!!!!!
MSea

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 08:15:16 AM »
Spoken like a true engineer!!! I love the mechanical concept of 'force fit', it applies to some of my builds at times. Did you notice my zombie fingers MSea? Thought I'd try a cross-over photo, lol!!!

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 05:36:28 PM »
Fuselage and wings joined with the latter having the holes drilled for the radar antennae, unneeded panel lines filled, control surfaces scribed deeper and prep work done for turning up the wing tips, The intakes on the engines have also been opened.
Photo 2 shows the etch main and radar consoles painted and placed on backing card ready for cutting out and fitting.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 04:56:05 PM »
Following on from the 2nd photo yesterday I have been struggling to keep the black backing card on one of the pieces, so I asked Tracy if she had any black card. She gave me some black plastic/vinyl labelling which came from The Works and is sticky on one side. See 1st photo. This may help those of us who need to back control panels etc. in the future. She doesn't know if it comes in other colours.
The 2nd photo shows the wingtips after being sawn and bent into shape. The gap underneath was filled with Evergreen strip and has since been filled with Perfect Plastic putty. I spent most of the day sanding the top of the fuselage and the bottom of the wing to get a good fit. Building straight from the box would have left steps above and big holes underneath.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 06:05:00 PM »
Hi Chris,
Nice work, and nice to see Tracy taking notice of your skills, helping out with the Black/Vinyl labelling tape.
You see, you did marry well!
A nice build of an often overlooked aeroplane.
Nice too see the detail on the upturned wingtips, it will make your model stand out.
Cheers,
Bigkev 
I hope my next is always better

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 04:34:01 PM »
After fitting the pilot's etch brass front and side consoles together as per instructions I found they didn't fit anywhere near where they're supposed to so I dismantled them and back the side consoles with matchsticks, to give them a better chance of sticking to the cockpit sides. Photo to follow once the levers are in place (hopefully).
The rest of the session was making up the undercarriage and engine nacelles. The legs are too tight to fit the wheels after painting so they had to be fitted early. Due to the stance of the a/c this is a definite contender for a tail sitter so besides packing the nose and under the cockpit floor the engine nacelles were packed with white stuff (by Fashion on the album Fabrique, voted the best techno pop album of the 80's, more info there Kev!!!) and steel BBs. first photo. The fit to the wings is atrocious so will need a lot of filling and sanding.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2020, 12:24:27 PM »
Cockpit completed using the Airwaves set not up to Haddock's standard but I'm getting better!!! The FuG 212 shroud is white metal and came from some spares somebody gave me, apologies I can't remember who, I had to shorten it and fit a blanking plate over the hole in the floor as the seat had to be moved back into it's proper position. The front cockpit shroud is a spare adapted from the Me 309 kit but needs further work after checking the canopy fit.
The tail plane is a one piece slid through which causes enough problems in itself re gluing in place and as per the rest of the kit it fits where it touches.

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2020, 05:56:50 PM »
Looking good Chris.
Andy.
Andy