Hi Chris,
Nice work on the masking.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

cph64

• View Profile
Re: F-84 G
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2020, 04:59:16 PM »
Tail masked further so I could complete painting the rear end. The original must have had a couple of re-sprays whilst at Torp as one photo shows natural metal tailpipe and fin tip with large codes on the tail, plus squadron badge, whilst another shows an overall aluminium finish with smaller codes and no badge. The blue on the nose is also complete in one of the photos whilst the olive green extends right to the nose tip on the other. The Aluminium finish has been tidied up, and the nose roughly painted blue, plus all the u/c door edges and bays have been painted Tamiya Yellow Green.

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2020, 04:47:06 PM »
Slow progress today, removing masking, touching up then re-applying. The cockpit canopies have been masked using fluid then painted aluminium followed by masking with tape for the white framing. Positioned loosely to ensure decking behind seat sits properly and doesn't interfere when the canopy is fixed permanently. Wing tip lights fitted, with inside both painted red, this is showing on some photos, not the usual red/green for port and starboard. They will be trimmed and masked ready for the Cobalt blue once they have set properly. The green spine is Vallejo 70.893 US Dark Green which is a close match for the paint the Norwegians have used.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2020, 05:34:36 PM »
Coming along nicely
Grumpy by name and nature

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2020, 03:37:47 PM »
Yep.
Nice model.
Andy.
Andy

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2020, 03:52:11 PM »
Decals applied over two days with the T-FN code made by adapting the F-FN supplied in the kit. The small T on the tail came from the spares box as did the minuscule numbers on the tail which are from various number trees on Airfix decals. Further research shows that the kit fuselage flashes are not correct for T but an online reference says the markings aren't quite right anyway, as in the codes should read FN-T not the other way around, but she's had several resprays so who know? And as expected the decal blue doesn't match the Humbrol colour quoted, something I may revisit in the future. The canopy masking was removed after spraying with Satin acrylic varnish which had caused some frosting even though the weather and can were warm, it may have been because it was the end of the can? So touch ups were required all round.
Not the quick build I thought it could be and it did turn into a labour of love. The biggest fault in the kit is that the starboard trim tab is moulded in completely the wrong place. As I won't be going back to Norway in the foreseeable future this will be a welcome reminder.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2020, 04:27:18 PM »
Good work there.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2020, 08:13:54 PM »
Decals applied over two days with the T-FN code made by adapting the F-FN supplied in the kit. The small T on the tail came from the spares box as did the minuscule numbers on the tail which are from various number trees on Airfix decals. Further research shows that the kit fuselage flashes are not correct for T but an online reference says the markings aren't quite right anyway, as in the codes should read FN-T not the other way around, but she's had several resprays so who know? And as expected the decal blue doesn't match the Humbrol colour quoted, something I may revisit in the future. The canopy masking was removed after spraying with Satin acrylic varnish which had caused some frosting even though the weather and can were warm, it may have been because it was the end of the can? So touch ups were required all round.
Not the quick build I thought it could be and it did turn into a labour of love. The biggest fault in the kit is that the starboard trim tab is moulded in completely the wrong place. As I won't be going back to Norway in the foreseeable future this will be a welcome reminder.

Nice attention to detail Chris,
But no matter what anyone says, it's your model, and if it is what you intended then that's okay.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2020, 08:32:54 AM »
There's truth in that Kev. By the time I get back she could have had another respray, lol!!!

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2020, 10:15:18 AM »
Excellent looking model Chris.
Chris

Red Lancer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2020, 06:06:18 PM »
Looks great!