Author Topic: Supermarine Swift FR.5  (Read 1838 times)

cph64

• View Profile
Supermarine Swift FR.5
« on: May 31, 2020, 03:49:41 PM »
In typical Blue Peter form here's one I started earlier but which went on hold due to me not being happy with the greys and greens I had. Initially released in 2015 (had it been in my stash that long?) the kit contains 62 parts in the soft blue plastic used by Airfix which caused problems more of which later. There are optional clear or solid closed parts for the camera ports, the canopy is in two parts and there is an optional belly tank. Markings are for a 79 Sqdn a/c flown by Lt Nigel Walpole at Gutersloh in April 1956 or a 11(AC) Sqdn a/c at Jever in 1956. I went for the 79 Sqdn a/c as it has PR Blue undersurfaces.
As mentioned earlier with the plastic being soft when the two fuselage halves are joined there is a recess along the spine instead of the usual ridge so filling is the order of the day. The nose wheel bay is also in two halves and this creates a visible line when the model is turned over unless you spend a lot of time filling and sanding, see photo 2. It's inside and underneath so I didn't! Some online reviewers also said they had fit problems when trying to fit the cockpit tub/nose wheel bay assembly as the instructions say join them together before fitting. I fitted them separately, no problems.
The green is Tamiya Dark Green 2 (RAF) XF-81 and the grey Tamiya Dark Sea Grey XF-54, both acrylics. The underside is Humbrol PR Blue enamel as I didn't have it as an acrylic. The cockpit is Humbrol acrylic Coal Black. Masking was done with Tamiya tape with the curves formed with Micro Mask.

cph64

• View Profile
Re: Supermarine Swift FR.5
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 04:15:44 PM »
Trawling through my photos I found these two showing the filler used during the initial build. They are dated February this year so that's how long it's been on hold!!! Also of note is the gap in the exhaust tube, I don't think it should have petals but will research further.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 02:41:37 PM »
Not been on hold that long Chris and stash only back to 2015. That can't possibly be the total.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 09:48:49 AM »
Correct on both accounts!!!

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 04:48:46 PM »
Time to start decalling. Made by Cartograph they are up to the usual high standard which means a lot less time trimming the backing. However when I came to fit the section of the number to the u/c door there was an overhang on both sides. The doors are fitted correctly to the legs so they must be over size, 4th photo. There is no mention of this in online builds. Luckily I had two sets of decals and checked one against the other, both were the same size. @3 1/2hrs later I finished for the day but still have a number of warning decals to fit to the body!!

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 05:36:30 PM »
Well done, perseverance wins in the end.
Grumpy by name and nature

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 03:33:06 PM »
After another 1 1/2hrs of decalling it was time for fitting the parts left off to ease masking. The front part of the canopy had to be adjusted a lot as the square end of the armoured windscreen wouldn't fit into the relevant hole!! The main canopy has a blanking(?) plate inside which also needs TLC to fit. Before this I fitted the ejector seat cushion which is a separate part. Reviews say the seat is too low but mine looks ok as I raised the cockpit tube slightly. The joystick, which I broke it in two places and I had to repair, is VERY flimsy as is the pitot tube which has four tree attachments and three ejector tabs!!!
Initially I wasn't happy with the fit of the tail planes then I read that they were of the variable incidence type so the gap is ok and checking references the exhaust does have petals so no extra work needed there. Time for the Flory Washes and Nuln Oil make it look as if it's just come back from a sortie. All in all a great kit which with a little TLC produces a great model.
Whilst researching I came across a report from a Pilot who was flying over a heath in Germany and caught a couple 'in flagrante delicto'. I wonder if the film got developed?

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 03:45:10 PM »
Nice looking model, great stuff, well done Chris.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 07:55:39 PM »
Hi Chris,
That is a great looking model and a good finish too.
Truth is though, I never really liked the lines of the 'Swift' as an aeroplane.
However your model looks the part, and captures the look of this ungainly looking jet( in my opinion).
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 03:35:09 PM »
I've always liked the Swift.
They all need loving Kevin.
Nice work Chris,
Andy.
Andy

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 05:32:57 PM »
I've always liked the Swift.
They all need loving Kevin.
Nice work Chris,
Andy.

Oh, go on then.
It is an aeroplane that needs loving. But a really good build.
Kevin
I hope my next is always better

Red Lancer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 06:30:44 PM »
It looks great Chris! I also lied the Swift.