Author Topic: FRENCH BATTLESHIP STRASBOURG IN 1:350 BY HOBBYBOSS  (Read 12239 times)

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
Re: FRENCH BATTLESHIP STRASBOURG IN 1:350 BY HOBBYBOSS
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2019, 03:25:00 PM »
Watching this space !!!!
MSea

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2019, 08:42:33 AM »
Keep watching!!

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 11:56:09 AM »
                                                                   Progress at last!
                                   Although the plastic detail is exquisite, there seem to be lots of errors, non insurmountable with some artistic licence.
                               The wood decks look nice but don't fit, lots if trimming to get a fit. The positions of some of the detail fitted to the decks will be governed by the wood, not the plastic but only I will know so does it matter?
                          The model has been primed with Tamiya light grey primer in a rattle can, I like this stuff, in spite of the pong which hangs about for days, it's dry enough to mask in 30 mins.
                       The hull colour is Vallejo game colour wolf grey, it looks a bit too blue to me but I'm not going to change it now.The foredeck is model-colour French mirage blue, lighter than deck blue, but it looks more to scale.
Boot topping is Tamiya Nato black and the antifouling is AK interactive anti fouling colour.
                           Just a few pics to give a flavour.
Haddock.

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 02:26:38 PM »
Some dry-fitting done ready to strip down and paint.
Quite a bit of work to get decent fits.
Note the sneaky ladders in the passageway, nearly forgot 'em.
Haddock.

kiwichappers

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2019, 11:00:06 AM »
Lovely work Tony. What is the detail that runs around the ship at the top of the hull sides?
Francis

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2019, 02:53:45 PM »
It's the de-gausing  cable.
Haddock.

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2019, 04:35:27 PM »
                   I was hoping to be painting the superstructure by now but a little voice said just check for assembly snags and traps for the unwary, glad I did, I could have ended up in trouble later on.
                    The aircraft handling crane was a swine, the brass could have been much easier to use if the hand-rails and ladders were in one piece, then folded to get the sides upright as is the usual case. The jib needed a brass rod pivot added as the plastic effort was just too small and fell through it's intended gap. The pulley is a generic item, could have done to be a bit longer to make the jib less upright but it's the longest I could find, another 2mm would have been ideal.
                     The yards were vey fiddly to get them to look right and make a strong joint, they're pinned with
0.5mm brass rod and secured with Araldite. Hopefully, they won't fall off when under load with rigging.
                    The launches are very nicely done, just needed the deck to hull joint filling and cleaning up. I've added some generic portholes.
                      All the pulling boats need is cleaning up before painting.
      Haddock.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 04:37:32 PM by Haddock »

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2019, 10:10:56 AM »
Hi Haddock,
Marvellous stuff that.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2019, 03:25:52 PM »
                                       Bit more "stuff" done.
                                   First pic is of the instructions for some sort of antenna that mounts right on top of the forward superstructure.
                                The assembly should consist of two plastic parts and three etched brass parts, the plastic comes into the " you have to be joking" category. I've replaced all the plastic with brass tube ( 0.4, 0.6 and 0.8mm dia), the only bit I've retained is the right-angle piece, drilling a 0.4mm hole in the short leg was tricky.
                   Next up is a short mast that mounts on top of the after superstructure. The starfish carries some sort of rigging, probably aerials so I thought it would be prudent to reinforce the arms with some 0.25mm brass rod.
                     Last but not least, boat handling cranes. the brass ladders are the same width as the jib from about halfway up to the top, I've added some 0.25 microstrip to fix the handrails to, this could have been made a lot easier had the ladders and handrails been produced in one piece with the side folded up as is normal with this type of thing.
                  The whole assembly needed moving aft to clear the superstructure and the top of the jib lifted on it's mounting to clear the motor launch. This will have to be fitted before the cranes as it's not possible to fit the cranes first and then the boats.
                         Having had a good moan, this aspect of modelling is one that I rather enjoy, so onwards and upwards as they say.
Haddock. 

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2019, 03:30:40 PM »
You "moan" never in a month of Sundays have I heard you do that - hohoho
MSea

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2019, 04:15:37 PM »
Hi Haddock,
Don't know what your 'moaning about', it looks very easy to do...…

Only joking!

A lot of care, thought and effort gone into those bits. Wouldn't do for a 'ham-fisted Oaf' like me.
In awe at your skill, yet again...!
Cheers,
Bigkev   

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2019, 04:54:31 PM »
               Nearly a disaster here folks. I thought it would be a good idea to fit a piece of sprue to the antenna assembly, something to get hold of for painting and adding railings and ladders.
              Worked fine for building the assembly, made life a lot easier, the I realized that the hole I'd fitted the sprue into was meant to accept the spigot on the next level down. The sprue is glued in place with Revell Contacta,
nice strong joint, so removing it was out of the question.
              You can see the "engineering" solution.
                In pic no1 we have parts 1 and 2, sprue in place. Fortunately I had some 3mm, just the right size to fit part 2, with the 3mm spigot replaced with a 3mm hole.
                Pic 2 shows the sprue cut to a suitable length and part 2 modified with a 3mm hole, parts 1a and 2a.
                          Pic 3 shows all the parts together, mounted on part no3.
                The whole lot fits onto the bridge which carry the brass yardarms.
                            Note to self, measure three times, cut once and think before you dash in with gay abandon.
Haddock.
Don't know why the last two shots are as they are, they're the right way up in the picture files, you'll just have to turn your head round!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 04:58:51 PM by Haddock »

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2019, 05:00:49 PM »
Just think NOBODY will know what you have done - some will not even see it !!!!
MSea

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2019, 08:25:50 PM »

Only the wise ones Msea, only the wise ones!

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2019, 10:22:41 AM »

Only the wise ones Msea, only the wise ones!
So, none of us then!
Grumpy by name and nature